Forty-Nine: Go

"THAT'S WHAT I WANT, BEAU

"THAT'S WHAT I WANT, BEAU."

Fuck, this girl was stubborn. But I supposed that checked out, considering she was friends with Bren.

"You're lying, but okay."

Collins bristled. "I'm not lying."

"Yeah?" I challenged. "And what would happen if I kissed you right now?"

I took a risky step forward, into her space again. Like clockwork, heat engulfed Collins' eyes as she stayed silent. Her lips parted, but I couldn't tell if it was because she wanted to deny what we both knew would happen or if she wanted me to kiss her.

We were close enough now that when she breathed, her chest skimmed mine. I felt her breaths. And I was sure that she felt mine.

When I whispered, cupping her face, she lilted toward me like a flower in an unyielding wind.

"What would happen, Collins?"

__

"Cato."

The alcohol seemed to leave my system just as his name left my lips. Sober. Stone-cold sober.

My brother's knowing smile continued to slip upward, and I curled my hands into my pockets.

"That's the best welcome you have for your brother?" he teased.

"I'm better with welcomes that are planned," I said flatly. "Not sprung on me repeatedly."

Cato shrugged and hopped off the hood of my car. "Saw you were having a party and thought I'd stop by."

That was the biggest load of bullshit I'd ever heard. Cato acting like he'd just driven by our Malibu house when he didn't live within hours of it was a fucking joke. Only I wasn't laughing.

"You didn't see that I was having a party. You knew I was having a party." I clucked my tongue. "How?"

"What's it matter?"

"It matters."

I wanted to know if he'd been trailing me. Because if so...well, I didn't know what the fuck I'd do, but I didn't like it either way.

Cato walked to the garage and leaned against it. He nodded his head toward the side of his house where I'd appeared from.

"You didn't tell me you had a new girl."

"Well, we only talk when you want something from me, Cato. How was I supposed to know you cared?"

"Come on, Beau." His head knocked back, hitting the garage door with a soft thud. "I care about shit like that, too."

"Collins is way more than shit like that," I said, a bit of an edge to my voice.

There was something about Cato being so close to Collins that I really didn't like. Just a few steps and they'd be face to face. And I couldn't even begin to imagine her reaction.