Twenty-Eight

Hope's P.O.V

I blushed as Aaliyah slipped the helmet over my head, her eyes looking from mine then to my lips. I watched as she smirked, her fingertips finding my chin as she lifted my head slightly, bringing our lips together. I could feel my whole body ignite as the taste of her vanilla chapstick filled my senses once again. Her lips remained soft as they moved slowly against mine before she moved away. I kept my eyes closed for a little longer, feeling my cheeks flush with heat and my lips tingle already wanting hers back. It was as if she took my breath right out of me.

"Let's go," she chuckled, causing me to open my eyes. She slipped a helmet over her head before walking towards the kart. I could feel my heart banging in my chest, causing me to feel a little dizzy. I was beyond nervous to get into the kart with her not just because it was a go kart but also because I knew she hadn't driven one in years.

"You can trust me," she reassured, holding her hand out to me. I nodded, walking towards her and allowed her to guide me into the kart. I watched as she sat in front of me.

"You'll need to hold on," she spoke loudly as she turned the engine on. I hesitantly wrapped my arms around her waist, feeling myself grow bright red. I grabbed harder when I felt her push her food on the gas, causing me to jump. I could feel her chuckle slightly as she pulled out of the garage.

As we began speeding up, the wind whipped through my sweater violently, as I watched the trees slowly move faster past us. I squinted my eyes, holding tightly for my life as Aaliyah continued to speed up, quickly turning the car down the winding track. My stomach continues to churn with nerves as our bodies moved side
To side.

"You okay back there?!" Aaliyah yelled over the engine and wind.

"Yeah!" I attempted to yell back, feeling the wind instantly make my mouth dry. I could feel Aaliyah chuckle in my arms as she sped up, causing me to squeal, my arms gripping so tightly I thought I was going to make her pop. I closed my eyes, feeling the wind sweep around us as I tried to calm my nerves. I let my eyes wonder to the sky as soon as I felt myself wanting to throw up from the motion. I watched as the deep oranges and pinks swept over the clouds above the tall pine trees casting one of the most beautiful sunsets I had ever seen.

"Didn't think you were so strong," Aaliyah chuckled, "I swear you broke a couple ribs," she added, as she pulled the kart up to a small clearing.

"Sorry," I laughed nervously, unwrapping my arms from her waist.

"Don't be, I just can't believe you thought my driving was bad enough to squeeze all the organs out of me," she continued, climbing out of the cart, offering her hand.

"You were rusty on the corners," I teased, causing her to smirk at me.

"I'd like to see you drive love," she smiled, guiding me out of the kart. I slipped my helmet off and took notice of the clearing. I couldn't help but gravitate towards it as I noticed the small lake surrounded by tall pines. The water was reflecting the beautiful sunset, one that I hadn't seen before. The sky was a deep orange now, the clouds slowly blending into the dark sky as she stars began to appear.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Aaliyah spoke, wrapping her arms around my waist, resting her chin on my head.

"Yeah, it really is," I replied breathlessly, holding her back. We stood in silence for a moment, taking in the view before us.

"I used to come down here all the time when I was younger," Aaliyah spoke, "after my dad passed away it was one of the only places I felt like I could stop my mind from thinking." I remained quiet as I listened to Aaliyah open up. I knew she wasn't a very open person when it came to her past or how she was feeling and I felt honoured that rage felt comfortable in this moment to tell me.