Eleven

Aaliyah's P.O.V

(Graphic scene with gun violence, please skip to ~~~~~ if not comfortable with reading)

We had one more day of the trip and I didn't want to go home. The media was becoming frantic about the statement Bradley had made about the case I had a few years ago. The case was closed and cleared in my favour and I didn't understand why he had brought it up again. It didn't bother me but I knew it put the business in a bad light and being the boss made it worse. I had to explain to Vanessa what the case was because she only had Bradley's statement to work off.

I had to make a statement sooner or later and I needed to figure out what to say. Vanessa has tried to fly her way over to be at the conference that was being held today but I declined her offer. Then there was Hope. I had to explain what was happening because she had no idea. All she knew was there was a conference today addressing Bradley's statement that was made. I knew Hope was a smart girl and she probably did research but I knew I still needed to explain what I needed for her to do today.

"It's a long story," I started, looking at Hope who had made herself comfortable on the sofa beside me, "I'm contempt with the outcome because it was self defence." Hope didn't say anything but waited patiently for me to continue.

"I was walking home from work because Bradley and I had an argument and I needed some head space," I began starting to picture what had happened.

I had my hands in my slack pockets as I walked the streets of a rundown part of the city. I usually didn't walk home because this area was complicated but I knew I was equipped with the correct knowledge to be able to save myself if worse case scenario came. I watched as an older couple walked hand in hand towards a small apartment complex. I couldn't help but envy their relationship. I bet they had been together for years.

I watched carefully as a hooded figure followed the couple into the apartment complex as something shined from his pocket as he pulled it out. My heart began to beat frantically and I didn't know what to do. Was it a gun? A knife? Set of keys? My heart began pumping and the adrenaline was coursing through my veins.

I didn't know what came over me but I cautiously followed the couple and hooded figure into the apartment complex. I noticed my heels were making an annoying clicking sound on the concrete so I quickly slipped them off, holding one in each hand as if I could fend off a grown man or woman with it. I carefully ventured up the stairs just in time to see the hooded figure walk up the next flight. I followed slowly and carefully, making sure to stay out of scene as the hooded figure carefully opened the apartment door. I waited on the steps for a moment before I heard some banging and crashing coming from the apartment.

"Put your fucking hands up!" I heard someone yell. I slowly etched closer, seeing that the door was open slightly, I allowed my eyes to see through the crack. The older couple both had their hands on their heads both shaking with fear. My body shook in fear as I quietly watched the scene, grabbing my phone out to call the police.

"Where's the girl?" He asked, holding onto a picture frame he picked up from the countertop.

"U-university," the woman stuttered. The hooded person walked closer, tapping the gun against his left shoulder.

"Where is your money?" The hooded person asked.

"N-no idea," The man shook as he looked at the hooded figure.

"Tell me where your fucking money is!" The hooded person yelled, quickly pointing his gun towards the older man.

"No," the older man cried. Without a chance to blink, the gun had fired and a bullet pierced through the mans chest. His body fell heavily to the ground. The woman beside him screamed. My mouth hung open, my whole body jumping at the sound of the gun firing through the building. I needed a plan fast. I quickly put my phone away and quietly snuck into the room. The woman's eyes pierced mine with complete fear and sadness but I gave her a warning glare, holding my finger to my lips to get her to be quiet.