Chapter 9

Trailing Deep Waters (University Royalties #3) - Chapter 9

HIS POV

"It's the high school male 400m freestyle. The swimmers are currently warming up!"

"Kakaiba ang 400m freestyle ngayon, 'no? It's difficult to assume who will take home the trophy. A lot of the swimmers who passed the final round are rookies!"

It's true that I'm a rookie. I only started swimming last year because my dad commanded me to, yet I ended up loving it. The rushing flow, the delicate glass-slick rippling, and the deep waters. Ever since, I've never lost a game. I eventually became the ace of our school in a matter of time.

I shook my head and warmed up, not minding the commentators anymore. I fixed my black trunks, swimming cap, and swimming goggles as well. I needed to focus.

"That's right! On lane 4, we have the ace of Cosmopolitan High, Isaac Velarde!" pag-papakilala ng isang commentator sa microphone.

I stepped forward. Nag-taas lang ako ng kamay para makita ako ng audience. Rinig ko ang nakaka-rinding palakpakan at sigawan. My friends are one of them. School namin ang host ng swimming competition na ito kaya karamihan ng audience ay suporta sa akin.

"Go, Isaac!" I heard Andrea and Nadia's familiar voice.

Tinignan ko ang gawi nila at napailing na lang ako nang makita ang placard ni Chandra at Aurora na may naka-lagay na 'go isaac, our sexy sexy love' at mga heart doodles.

"The race is about to begin!" the commentator said which made the crowd go wild, the swimmers started positioning to a track start. A track start is where you have one foot at the front of the block and the other towards the back. Nag-patuloy ang sigawan ng crowd, and my name was dominant. I didn't want to be complacent, though.

Nang marinig ang pito ng referee, the swimmers jumped to the long pool.

"And they're off!" the commentator set forth.

I continued swimming, my arms moving in an alternating fashion, my arms and legs pulling me to the water. I was using the bilateral breathing technique, the alternating movement of the arms allows you to turn and naturally lift your head with every stroke, just enough to clear your mouth from water and inhale.

"Napaka-ganda ng lap time ni Velarde!" the commentator complimented.

"Kitang-kita na si Velarde at Tuazon! Dikit ang laban!" the other commentator proclaimed. "As expected, the two of them are neck to neck!"

I couldn't catch my breathe that much, but I continued swimming, alternating my arms in every stroke. "6 more meters to go! Sino ang mag-wawagi? Velarde or Tuazon?" 

My eyes widened, not believing myself when I reached the end of the game. Nahampas ko ang tubig sa saya. I head the loud cheers, the echoing claps, and awesome remarks by the commentators. "Isaac Velarde in lane 4 set a new record, and won the gold medal!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------