The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty

Hey guys, I thought it'd be nice to get this story into 2013 :)

This story will now be updated every Friday

CHAPTER TWENTY

Out on the wiley, windy moors
We’d roll and fall in green
You had a temper, like my jealousy
Too hot, too greedy
How could you leave me?
When I needed to possess you?
I hated you, I loved you too
Bad dreams in the night
They told me I was going to lose the fight
Leave behind my wuthering, wuthering
Wuthering Heights
- Wuthering Heights, Kate Bush

“WAKE UP HENRY BEFORE I drag your ass into the backyard and lock the door!” There was no answer. “WE ALL KNOW HOW MUCH OLD LADY NEWMAN WANTS TO SEE YOUR PECKS!”

            The door to her father’s bedroom flew open and the man behind it stared at her with wide eyes. “I’m up! I’m up!”

            Chelsea smirked and walked over to repeat the same process in front of her brother’s door. Her sister and Allison had always been early risers, so the only thing she had to worry about from those two was the constant fighting over the bathroom. No slaps had been thrown yet, but it was only a matter of time.

            “What the hell, Chess! Why are you waking me up? I already graduated!” Will shouted at her.

            “You missed orientation for college last week because of Poppy’s doctors appointment, Will! They’re having one last tour today and you’re going to be late if you don’t hurry up,” she replied calmly. “So get up and get ready!”

            The angry look on his face faded and he groaned loudly. “Do I have to go to college?”

            “You’re going to be a father,” she said like it was obvious. “You need to provide for your child, and being a music teacher means that you can pay the bills- end of story. Get ready.”

            He groaned again before slamming to door shut in her face, but she knew he acknowledged that she was right. With a satisfied smile on her face, she turned around and went to make breakfast. Her family wouldn’t be ready for at least another twenty minutes, maybe more for the two girls, so she decided to make chocolate chip pancakes.

            Over the summer, Chelsea had gradually healed and grown to accept what had happened. This was with the help of her family, Andy and especially Allison. She’d even started eating again, though it was slow progress because of how much her stomach and shrunk when she was depressed. Now she could eat a whole apple without wanting to puke, though, so she was proud of herself.

            “Mmm, that smells nice,” her father commented as he sat down. “I must say that you are a brilliant cook, Artemis.”

            “Is the your subtle way of convincing me to give you more pancakes than everyone else?”

            “Maybe.”

            “You’re impossible.” She handed him a plate with a large stack and the jar of Nutella, knowing that he loved to spread it over everything. “Do you know if Will’s taking the car?”

            “I think he might be- NYU is pretty far from here. I still can’t believe that he got in, he’s not exactly the brightest light bulb in the box.”