The Art of Courting- Chapter Twenty Five

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Show me a smile then,
Don’t be unhappy, can’t remember
When I last saw you laughing
If this world makes you crazy
And you’ve taken all you can bear
You call me up
Because you know I'll be there
- True Colors, Cyndi Lauper

The next day was Sunday and Chelsea couldn’t stop herself from going over to the Frost residence. She told herself that it was because she wanted to see Jordan, but it was just her way of coping with what she was about to do. The official document beside her was practically screaming with despair like she was on the inside.

            Pulling into the driveway, she took a few seconds to stare up at the big house before taking a deep breath and exiting her car. She pressed the doorbell and waited.

            “Hello? Oh! Chelsea!” Jay cried as he saw her standing there awkwardly, clutching the paper to her chest. “What are you doing here? Jordan’s out at dance class today.”

            “Yeah… Well, I actually came to see you,” she practically whispered.

            “Huh? What did you say?”

            Chelsea lifted up her head and stared him straight in the eyes. “We need to talk.”

            “Um… Okay?” He looked puzzled as he let her into the house. Walking into the kitchen, they sat themselves down at the dining table. Chelsea laid the document out before her.

            “Jay,” she started, “I know what you did.”

            He blinked a few times in confusion. “… What I did?”

            “Yes. At the party before we broke up.” His face paled in realization and he sat back in his seat. “I haven’t come here to ask you why you did it because it’s obvious that you prefer Dan- I mean, Kelsey over me. I just want to get some things straight.”

            “Chelsea I-” he began.

            “Like I said,” Chelsea interrupted, “I don’t need excuses or anything. But I want you to know that… I don’t think we should be friends anymore. Or even acquaintances.”

            Jay frowned. “What do you mean?”

            “I’ve decided that distancing myself from you is what’s best for me and my family. I have a little niece now, and I don’t want someone like you around influencing her.”

            “‘Someone like you…?’” he echoed in shock. “Chelsea… you don’t want to be my friend because I made an error and was unfaithful to you? That wasn’t my fault! I was drunk and I’d just found out about you and Andy! You’re such a hypocrite! So, you can cheat and you’re still a saint but when I do I’m immediately evil? I thought we were putting all of the mistakes we made during our relationship behind us?”

            She sighed in exasperation when she realized that Jay just didn’t understand. Still. “I never cheated on you. I don’t care what you think about it, but I know I didn’t do it, and so does everyone I consider close to me. So back to what I originally wanted to say… To put it plainly, Jay, I… I refuse to be friends with someone who has cheated on their partner. I’m cutting the ties we’ve had with each other today. Our bond is well and truly gone.”

            “C-Chelly I…”

            “I’d like to give this back to you also,” Chelsea said calmly, sliding the document over to him. “The piece of the moon you bought me for my birthday. I don’t want it anymore. You can give it to Kelsey instead.”