Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Noi,"

We both turn around to find Rhys, Asch and Pierce standing in the looming frameway of their magical realm-house. Noi turns tense again as we take in their expressions. They seem dark...

"Come with us, the both of you," Rhys orders.

I arch an eyebrow and give off an inquisitive look.

"What's the verdict?" I ask, leaning back from the counter.

Their expressions grow more grim, as a roll of thunder strolls from the sky outside. I look out of the vast windows to see the darkest of skies. In Daemos, clouds are a sort of bad omen after an announcement of news. Something tells me that whatever decision they've come to isn't all happy and glorious.

"Do not question my orders!" Asch barks, "Just fo-llow!"

I scoff internally and do as told, the instinct of Daemos nipping in my mind. It annoys me to have to do what Asch says-- but right now there's been enough squabbling. In all honesty, I want to get this conversation over with.

^^^^^^^

The whole walk through the magical-addition that they put up was silent. All the way through long corridors, around every corner and up every staircase. Painfully quiet. Intensely grim.

We finally walk into a sort of court-room of council. A round, large table rests in the middle of the big room, surrounded with more chairs than I count Daemos. Leif is already sitting down at the table, waiting for us. Without a word, Asch and the others take their own chairs. I sit beside Noi, no idea what's actually going on-- suspicion in mind.

"Okay. Somebody has to say something, this silence is putting me on edge," I finally blurt, looking around the table.

"It has come to our attention that -- as things would seem now-- a problem has arisen. As much as Prince Asch insists upon dealing with you now, I still think it wise to get the whole picture." Rhys begins the meeting with formality.

He's acting so stiff about me now. Then again, I've been held up with a mask on, and Daemos have never been known as the trusting type... I can't really blame them, since this is such a big thing too.

I process the bits laid out on the table, before nodding. Leif sits sulking in his chair at the table, glaring at me fully. A whole distrusting gaze piercing me from across the room. I guess I don't know what I was expecting, nothing could be great forever.

"Even though this is a complete waste of time," Asch grumbles.

"I'm a waste of time now?" I ask, bitterness in my voice.

"Yes," Asch barks, "You are. Ever since you arrived on Sorceress Ava's front steps, you have been nothing but in the way. We're here to solve our problem; you've only added delay to finding us a solution."

I scoff, "And why exactly are you here? Unless I missed a memo and royal Daemos are suddenly allowed to up and leave their kingdoms-- you're supposed to be in the castle."

Asch growls from gritted teeth, "You know nothing,"

The tension in the room seems to keep the others off my back for the moment being. All eyes are either on Asch or myself at this moment, and they carry heavy weights. I take a brief moment to study their eyes.

"I'm right, though, aren't I? Dead on the nail, something bad has rushed you all here."

"If you wish for me not to cut out your tongue, then I suggest you shut your mouth and get back in turn! I will not stand for your disrespected assumptions!"