Chapter 10

Chapter 10

>:) 

Enjoy.

------------------

I watch Ava from here, as she walks with her fathers into one of the shops across the street.

"Juliet? Are you OK?" Noi asks.

I whip my head around and meet Noi's gaze. I smile.

"Huh? Oh, pfft. Yeah, I'm fine!"

"No...? You're lying." Rhys says.

"No, I'm not."

The guys all nod.

"If Rhys says you're lying, then you're lying. He's an expert at telling."

"Oh, hex." I slump.

Lief looks at me and stares for a long moment.

"You know, you seem familiar."

"Familiar? What, you get amnesia or something?" I chuckle.

"No. I didn't. I'm just saying."

"Don't be stupid, Lief! She's a human!"

"But... is she?" Lief retorts.

Everyone's heads perk up upon Lief mumbling that last part. They look from him to me, which makes me feel intimidated. I smile awkwardly.

"Of course she's human. Otherwise, Ava wouldn't know her." Noi points out.

Lief nods his head, "Yeah. You're right. That wouldn't make sense if she knew Ava and wasn't human!"

Lief sighs, "Forget I said anything."

I bite the inside of my cheek, before taking another sip of my coffee. A very long, enduring sip. I look back out the window and see Ava and her dads through the window of the shop across the street. I zone in on them, so much so that I don't realize that Asch is calling out my name.

"Sorceress. JuLiEt!"

I snap back to the table and notice all five boys staring at me.

"If you were trying to hide your current status before... Then you've completely failed now." Rhys notes.

I sigh.

Rhys takes the last bite of his sandwich and balls up the plastic that came wrapping it. He folds his hands together on the table and looks up at me, expectantly.

"So are you going to tell us what it is bothering you? Or are we going to find it out the hard way?"

"Hard way?"

"Yes, the hard way."

Asch pops in, "Whatever it is that IS bothering you, it must be terrifying."

I lower my head.

He isn't wrong.

"Yeah! But you know, we're trained warriors! I'm sure together we can kill what's got you so nervous!" Noi pips.

"I'm not nervous..."

Lies.

"You're still not being fully honest with us."

"Pfft. And you guys are completely honest with Ava?" I scoff,

This seems to get them each, as they all tense up. I realize what just slipped from my mouth, and I hope they don't notice.

Noi leans closer to Lief and whispers-- whispers loudly, "How does she know???"

Lief shrugs, the both of them staring at me.