Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight:

''''''''

Noi leads me to the 'star room' as he calls it, guiding me into a large space clouded in darkness. He shuts the door behind us and everything goes pitch black. I gulp, walking forward-- which is honestly pretty stupid on my part. I can't see.

"Noi. Where the heck are the lights? I don't see anything."

I hear him chuckle and then the sound of a patting against the walls siffs out.

Soon, a light comes on. A soft yellow light above my head by about two feet clicks on, and lights up the dome shape room. Strung up in a circle all around the room, and after that the lights of a galaxy flip on above the first light.

Dark on the outsides-- and the more it comes in the more of a variation of colors are seen. Lighting up the space overhead. I look up as it literally takes my breath away. Noi comes trotting to my side in the low glow of light and stands beside me. I laugh out loud, expressing my amazement and excitement. He glances up with me and smiles so boldly.

"Thought you'd like this." Noi says abruptly.

I shoot him a look of bewilderment,

"You did?"

"Yeah. You're always so busy with Leif and Asch that you... don't really get a chance to do ... whatever it is you do. And besides. I noticed that you can't see the stars very well here at night."

I look at him, feeling warm,

"You planned this for me?"

He nods, still looking up at the constellations.

I take a step closer to him and kiss him on the cheek.

Noi looks over at me with wide eyes. His hand comes up and cups his own cheek, face visibly red in the dim light.

"That was very ... sweet of you." I sway.

"...'Sweet'?"

I nod, putting my hands in my jacket pockets. I tilt my head back up to gaze at the stars. Noi lowers his head, fixing his eyes on the floor, a soft smile on his lips.

He chuckles and continues to share the moment with me.

I recall the last time I saw stars like this. It's been... so long. So.. so long. Three years here. A memory of the stars back home crosses my mind. I smile, right before my head starts to grow light and dizzy. I clear my throat and turn to Noi.

"Thank you, Noi. For bringing me here today. But, now, it's late and I think I'm going to go scare away Asch from the living room and get some rest."

"Oh. Okay. Well, do you want me to come with you? I ca--"

"--No." I interrupt.

I realize that my answer came out harshly and wave my hand through the air dismissively.

"No, that's ok. I'm probably going to pass out right away, so I wouldn't be much company anyways."

I head for the door.

"Goodnight."

He waves weakly.

"...Night."

I leave him, finding my way back to the apartment on my own.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''

(Time Skip)

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''