Unexpected

Author's Name:

_xxAMxx

Reviewer:

raelynlayn

Review Type:

All Options

Cover/Blurb Review:

Let's start this review with the cover. I clicked on your profile and this cover instantly catched my eye! The style and the colors look so good together. I love the yellow background, which was the first I noticed, but then you look more at it, and you see the persons in front and the red line that connects them. I love how they're drawn, maybe the one who made the cover, then I really want to say to that person: Good job! I love them. It also makes me curious about the story. I wanna know if these two people are the main characters and what the red line means (I do have my guesses). The lettertype used for the title was also an awesome choice. You can read it clearly on the cover and it fits inside the rest of the cover. Also, I'm happy it's white, since it brings some rest to the cover that already wears a lot of colors, although I love the pastel colors and the bright background. It looks perfect together. Your name is also good to read! I love that the color of the redline has been reused for that. It makes that the name really blends in with the rest of the cover. Great cover! It makes me want to read this story, and honestly, if I would have seen this cover in the store, I would have picked the book up. Which means, it's a great cover, and I don't have anything to say about it. It's super cute and perfect for a romance/contemporary/feelgood young adult story.

Let's move on to the blurb. I love that you give credits first to the person who made the cover and banners for the inside for you! Also, I like that you seperate it from the blurb by those stars. The blurb is short but strong. I believe it gives the reader all the information they need to know before reading. Honestly, yes, it sounds like your typical cliché wattpad book (but then again, who doesn't love that once in a while, everyone, right?). You can give it a twist, though, I mean there are books who start cliché but don't end like it. And still, if it's cliché, if the writing is great it can be a great story! I'm excited to start reading it. I mean, I already started smiling reading the blurb. By that, I do believe I will enjoy this story. I don't have anything to say about this blurb as well, it's put together great!

Hook Review:

Firstly, I want to say something about the chapters before chapter one. I love the things you added to the story! I can't help it, but I love it when a book has aesthetics and/or a playlist that really puts me in a certain mood to read. Also, by having read the author's note, where you're saying you will edit out grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes when you have finished the book, I won't be focusing on that a lot. So let's start reading chapter one!

You start off great! You instantly write with a lot of details, and the comparisons you make are funny and catching. There's only one thing I dislike a bit, and that's starting with waking up. I'm sorry, but yeah, I'm one of those people who really doesn't like that. But, on the bright side (mostly for me) you don't fall into the big 'waking-up-scene' cliche. You go by it fast, which makes me not instantly lose attention reading it. Furthermore, you introduce the characters in a really nice way, and with great detail! I really like your writing style so far, and I have already been grinning a lot only reading chapter one. I love that you instantly start with the plot, and not stretch it for a couple of chapters. I like it when the story instantly starts, and this one starts off great. I already like the characters this mainly will be about. Also, before I forget it somewhere else, I love that you included asthma. It's been introduced in such a realistic way to the reader, it was instantly clear what was happening. Good job! So, the second chapter. I love how this story goes further. One thing that I liked a little less was Melissa, I don't know, I believe you can make the story a bit more original if you wouldn't put in all the 'stereotypes'. Like, the good girl, kinda bad boy, mean girl, etc. I do love Lexi, though, I feel like she's going to be a great character. Oh, and I have no idea how this goes in other countries, but I have never seen fights like that in the schools I have gone to. But at the same time, I have seen people chasing each other for fun through the canteen. So, it probably happens. But I do wonder why there always needs to be a silly fight that leads to getting warnings. For the rest, I love this story, and I want to read the rest to find out what's all going to happen, so your hook is great! I'm going to keep this at two chapters, and will use the other chapters I will be reading in the other things I will be reviewing. I believe that these two chapters, also since the plot already started, were enough to review the hook. (Oh, and I also love the banners)

Plot Development Review:

So, this plot. I love it, but at some parts it's too cliche for me. Look, I don't mind cliche tropes, I do love them, but not when they're used the exact same way as every other book does. Give me interesting twists, do something exciting with them. I like it if I can tell something is about to happen, but not with every small thing. Just like with the door, it would have been a lot more fun if Hannah's dad also forgot to mention it. Then it would come a little more out of nowhere. Not everything can be known. I have read ten chapters, and I probably will be reading the rest of the book as well, because, yes, some things are too cliche for me, but I also want to know what you're going to make from it furthermore. The thing in this book I actually dislike the most is the bond between Lexi and Ava. I mean, they fight over nothing, I want reasons, or just them not being enemies but also not being friends, just natural. I actually got more into the story when I finished chapter eight, I don't know why exactly, but I just started to like it more. I hope you maybe will get into some twists, but also keep it cliche, it's not like you can't do that, just maybe try to not use every single topic in one story, that can be a bit too much. Your writing style is really good and keeps the book interesting, especially your way of describing things. Just give me some more depth in the relation of Ava and Lexi, and maybe make a better choice of what you will do with Melissa. I don't think she's that important, to be honest. But I don't believe this story needs the 'mean girl' anyways, the rest is enough to carry this story. Maybe you can also keep some mystery for the reader by not hinting on certain things already, so that the reader can't guess everything. Overall, I like this story a lot, and I'm getting into it a bit more every chapter I read. I'm curious about what's all going to happen to these characters further in the story, and I probably will be reading this entirely.

Character Development Review:

Firstly, let me talk about Hannah. I like her character, but sometimes I find her reactions a bit over the top. I won't instantly jump onto someone if they splash paint on my art work. Yes, it ruins a lot, and yes, they did it on purpose. But I always learned, people who talk with their fists are weaker than you, and you don't want to lower yourself to their level, so stay with words. Also, she hates a dress she's wearing, why won't she wear anything else? Doing effort on clothing doesn't instantly mean wearing a dress you don't want to wear, just like Ava. Nobody should wear clothes they don't like, just so that it looks like you have put effort into your dressing. Furthermore, Lexi and Ava, I get you can't like everyone, but their fights are literally about nothing. I also don't understand why you don't want anyone to know you can't dance, to be honest. Actually, I'm just wondering why brothers and sisters of the main character and love interest mostly have to fight as well. Why wouldn't they be able to be friends? Ava is, in my opinion, acting a bit over the top about this as well, which makes me quite dislike her character. Also, I still don't know what Melissa is doing in the story, I don't believe she's adding a lot to it, mostly since she randomly pops in and out, and she has no motive to act the way she does. Outside of these things, I do like reading about the characters. I love getting to know small things about them, and I can already see some growth they're going through. I started to love Zac and Hannah even more after chapter eight. It feels like that's where we really start to know them, and I love that.

World-Building Review:

I love the way you describe all the settings, and I can really place in my head where the characters are. In general, you describe it really well, but the settings also feel alive when you're reading it. Not only by how it looks, but you use all the things, smellings, seeings, hearings, just everything. So, I don't have a lot more to say about that than that you're already doing a good job on this.

 So, I don't have a lot more to say about that than that you're already doing a good job on this