Drugs, Treasons and Other Demons

Author's Name:

HappyCoati

Reviewer:

sky_is_limit

Review Type:

All options

Cover/Blurb Review:

The cover does appear to match what may happen in the future. At first glance, I like that the title is easy to see and read. I think the simple font used works really well with the overall theme too. The photo used on the cover is also clear, which is nice. Your name at the bottom is quite small. I'd personally make it just a little larger. Is it eye-catching? I'd say the title makes it more eye-catching than the cover itself. The cover on its own personally wouldn't make me click on it. It definitely fits the theme of the story, but I don't find it overly engaging, especially for a romance novel. Though I'm sure romance isn't the only topic of the story.

If I had to rate the cover, I'd probably say 5/10.

The blurb could use a little finetuning. I do think building up on it would benefit the novel quite a lot. At the moment, while it does tell us the basics of the story, I don't think it's enough to get people going "time to read!" Definitely listing out the stakes that Sarah will face is a great way to tell people what's going to happen without actually telling them. It would also help to expand just a bit on her intro. So, she's going on a trip, maybe say why or give a detail on how it's going. So, maybe she's on a trip from hell across Latin America. While reading the blurb, it doesn't necessarily make me want to take a look at the contents on its own.

I'd also say the note under the blurb is a little distracting. I had assumed it was part of the blurb at first, though it's just an explanation on crushing tropes. That could've been a very short author's note in the first chapter, or even left as an explanation once you complete the story. Make sense?

Hook Review:

I want to start with the title, and it sure is an eye catching one. As you first take a glance at it, it seems very interesting, like we're in for a ride. In my opinion, I do believe the title is intriguing enough to really hook possible readers. I, myself, was very excited to take a peek at the inside. Nice job! I'd love to know how you thought of it.

Next, let's talk about the first two chapters. The opening of chapter one is already interesting because of the amazing imagery you list out for us. I think adding the details about the vehicle they're driving really helps picture just what the four ladies are experiencing. It also makes for a good picture while reading. So, your details are very good. In chapter one, we already get a hint at an issue, which is in the form of two creepy men at a gas station.

As far as a hook goes, I think you've got it down good. Just by Sarah's experience with those guys, there's no doubt that something is going to go down. Then in chapter two they're pulled over by the police and we really see the story starting. I personally have found no issues in the hook. I'm dying to see what happens next as they've all just been abducted. Not only that, but Sarah also spotted the same men from the gas station, right? The tension building is marvelous.

As far as a hook goes, 10/10. It's very attention grabbing to me and it's easy to see that you're also a very good writer by the amazing details and characterization you've provided. Nothing feels like an info dump, at least from my standpoint. Any background on characters we do get, falls in line with the present conversation and why Sarah feels how she does.