#8 - The Rogue Pilot

Nine Thousand, Six Hundred and Seventy-Seven Hours Ago (January 1st, 2017, 7 pm)...

'We're down for another final here in the Reifont Aquatics Center.' The commentator announces as spectators find their seats in the grandstand. 'Tonight, six teams will compete in the men's synchronized 3 m springboard finals.' A young lady carrying a placard with the inscription 'BAG THE GOLD, DOLPHINS!', hunts for her seat.

'Stakes are high for these young divers as this event is the last chance to snatch the two vacant spots in the Olympic Diving Team this season.' The commentator's crisp voice broadcasts across the wide arena.

'Excuse me,' the lady says, squeezing through a swarm of perky spectators. She lets out an exhausted sigh as she settles in her seat. Why is this arena packed? She gazes her surroundings, watching avid fans wait for the finals to commence. I didn't know so much hype existed for a mere diving event. She runs her fingers through her blond hair as she scans the arena. Okay, focus. Need to find him. 

'Excuse me,' someone seated beside her calls. The lady turns to see a boy in his late teens holding a placard. This must be Peter. The lady muses as she recognizes the teenager. She pulls her sleeves down as Peter scans her. 'I think we've met before.' he says. 'I have seen you-'
'Oh yeah.' The lady realizes. 'At Professor Hopkins' seminar on Nuclear Physics.' 

'Yeah,' Peter nods. 'Well, nice to see you again. I'm Peter.'  

'I'm Amy.' She says. 'Amy Bates.' Peter offers his hand for a handshake. 'Here are the six teams that are competing  in the finals tonight.' Amy shifts her gaze to the platform below as the teams begin to arrive. Peter chuckles as he withdraws his hand.   

'From Sandbridge Sports University, we have David Fleming and Patrick Gresl.' The crowd cheers as two men wave around. Amy looks at her watch. 'Whom are you rooting for tonight?' Peter asks as the next team is announced. 'What do you mean?' Amy replies, looking at Peter. 'There are two teams representing Frigton.' Peter replies. 'You didn't know?'

'No,' Amy realizes. 'I thought there was only one team.'  

'Now, the next pair of divers, who everybody knows have-' He pauses. Apprehension encompasses the arena when this abrupt hiatus persists. Amy eyes the teams gathered on the podium. They're not here. 

'Due to medical reasons, unfortunately, one of the divers won't be able to join us tonight.' The commentator announces in a dismal tone. 'Thus in accordance with the rules, the second team representing Frigton University-' The booing of the crowd drowns out the commentator's voice.

'So they will postpone the event, right?' Amy inquires. 'No,' Peter answers. 'They will proceed with the remaining five teams.' He tosses his placard to the floor and slouches in his seat. 'They've worked to the bone for this. You know-' He lifts his head to see Amy but finds an empty seat. 'Where did she go?' Peter says, scanning his surroundings.

Why can't they postpone the event? Amy rips her placard as she stomps across the desolate hallway. She tosses the remnants of the placard in the nearby trash bin and enters the Athletes Lounge. 'Coach,' She shrouds behind a wall when she notices two people walk out of a changing room. 

'Coach, where is Jason?' Chris demands. 'He's on his way to the infirmary.' The coach answers, checking his phone. 'But there's nobody dispatched to the infirmary.' Chris says. 'What nonsense are you talking about?' The coach snaps. Amy glances at the fuming coach. Something smells fishy. She takes out her phone while scanning the lounge. No cameras. She scrolls through the images and finds a photo of Jason in a tracksuit. 'They're wearing the same tracksuit,' She whispers as she examines Chris' attire. Amy runs the photo through an app and places her phone back as Chris storms out of of the Lounge.