#21 - Hidden Connections

The junior technician catches her mentor who stumbles upon an unknown entity. "Thanks," Alexa says, scratching her itchy forehead, now a dense, angry green. Eliza scans her affected mentor when she lets go of her shoulders, "You need to rest." The chief technician shakes her head, glancing at the team of physicians, plus a very old telepath, examine a pallid Jason.

The owner of Pearl Manor reduces her scream to a slight jerk, when Amelia appears behind her, tapping her shoulder. "Any problem?" she asks, taking a glimpse of her nauseated friend. Eliza nods, whispering, "I'm trying to make her rest."

"No," the sprinter says, seeing her friend retch. The chief technician cringes when her redheaded friend reappears with a small, disposable bag, almost oblivioned of her incoming puke. She grabs the black bag, turning to view the outsider's bed, through the translucent drapes.

"Once I find out about Fred, you'll be the first to know," Eliza chimes in. Alexa opens the expandable barf bag, bringing its opening to her greyish lips. She glances at her protegee, forehead crinkled. "She's trying to say I know that," Amelia interprets, studying her friend's wan visage.

The herculean relaxes her forehead, looking up and down to say yes; her buccal cavity ready to eject the rising barf. The novice shapeshifter turns around, securing the long drapes around the diver's bed. "Get it all out," Amelia says, holding her infirm friend who disgorges. "Even your anger against Fred. He's not worth it." Eliza flashes a grin when she hears that.

She sags her head, noticing the entity her mentor tripped on. A flustered Nathan steps out of the germ-free zone, gaze falling on the bent shapeshifter, "Eliza?"

"Yeah," she says, grabbing the black enigma from the floor. Her eyes fixate over the device, stroking its large, slightly cracked screen. "This is a PDA*," the junior technician mutters, eyes goggled as she shows it to the elementalist. "But better." Nathan creases his forehead, realizing something. That's the phone Alexa tried to tap. He glances at his wife, pointing to the black device.

Amelia nods, recollecting the incident as she takes the distended bag from her friend. The phone's here. She presses a button on its clean, outer rim, causing the barf bag to seal itself. The sprinter reappears, a rose scent arising from her trail. 'Let's go, Alex,' she says, holding her staggering friend. The herculean glances at her protegee as she heads to the other side of the room, gesturing her to follow.

Eliza replies with a curt nod, clasping on to the assumed handheld PC as she marches to the vacant bed. 'Here,' Alexa says, eyeing the Samsung smartphone as she hands out a black device. "It's called a smartphone," she says, clearing her throat as she shifts in her recumbent position. The junior technician studies the small flash drive.

"That will unlock the phone," Alexa says, clearing her throat. She crinkles her forehead, "I remember sending the tapped call to the phone, but I don't know what they spoke about." Eliza turns to see the young diver. "We'll take care of this," Amelia says, draping a thick blanket over her friend. "Now rest." The owner nods, "I'll call when we find out about Fred."

Alexa nods, her droopy eyes fixated on the locket placed around her protegee's neck. At least one positive came out of Tom's arrival. She grins at the exceptionally hale shapeshifter as she drifts off.

"Alex discovered cell activity in the manor," Mark apprises, placing a mask over Jason's face. "That's how we found out about Fred." The transmuted telepath sighs, his purple eyes riveted on the novice vanisher's forehead.

The chief physician injects a crimson fluid into his patient's right forearm, "This will prevent him from going into shock. So take the time to find a proper exit." He lifts his head to see his transmuted brother, "I'm not allowing another comatose patient in."