#11 - Restoration

'Now!' The sprinter yells, glaring at her daughter and the shapeshifter.

Jenny rubs her eyes for the millionth time, her mouth still agape. How is this possible? I thought shapeshifters were a myth. Her eyes glow amber as she watches the shapeshifter step back. I wonder how composed his mind would be. She tries to read his mind but stops when her eyes begin to hurt. Why am I so bad in entering other people's minds? She scoffs in her head while rubbing her eyes.

You just need more practice. Tom replies as he transmutes into a middle-aged man. He glances at the astounded telepath. Oswald Popkin took twenty years in mastering telepathy and mind control, but in the end he was one of the world's most powerful telepaths.

Meanwhile, Amelia manages to drive her curious daughter back to her room. Why did he have to do that? She zaps to the stroller and takes it to the relieved telepath. Watching her eyes glimmer purple for a moment, she turns back to gaze at the shapeshifter who returns to his original self. 'Jenny, babysit your cousin till I come,' she says, her glaring eyes fixated on him. She nods and hums as she walks away with the stroller, her cousin still giggling. The sprinter steps closer to face the outsider, 'Why are you here?'

She flinches when Eliza steps out of the room. 'I'll terminate the lock mode,' The technician stutters, rubbing her cold hands. Brr, that was freezing cold. She watches the twins' mother glare at her uncle as she closes the door. 'What did he do now?'

Tom turns her head to face her, 'Nothing. She's just angry because I came back after a very long time.' She nods, 'Hmmm. Even I'm angry.' She glances at the sprinter, 'I'll join you in fifteen minutes. ' Her uncle notices something when she walks away. Fred contacted her. He muses when he sees her eyes glisten green for a second.

'Answer me,' Amelia demands. 'Tom,' A voice calls from the other end of the hallway. The sprinter steps sideways to see Anthony approaching. 'You knew about him?' She says, annoyed. 'It's a long story,' he says as he reaches the duo. He shifts his gaze to his brother, 'Follow me.' The sprinter stops him, 'Tony, let me handle him. I know how to get him talking.' The shapeshifter rolls his eyes. Yeah, right. 'I want to do this,' the physician replies. 'Okay,' she nods. 'I'm here if you need help.'

'Thanks,' Anthony says. The two friends turn to see the yawning shapeshifter stretch his hands. 'What?' he says, shrugging his shoulders. 'I've been working for the last seventy-two hours.' The sprinter mutters an indecipherable curse as she glares at him. The physician shakes his head in disappointment, 'This way.' He points to the other end of the hallway and treads in that direction.

Amelia stares at the unwanted guest who gazes at her son's door, 'What?'

'Nothing,' Tom says, shaking his head. 'At least answer his questions for your niece's sake,' she says when he faces her. 'Okay?' He nods and glances at his shoes as he follows his brother. Why did Fred contact her through telepathy?

...

Eliza strides down the wide hallway, glancing at the numbered doors on either side as she heads to the staircase, 'Why didn't he tell Jessie to notify me?' She rubs her forehead. 'My head was already throbbing before he called.' Fred's telepathic message flashes in her mind.

I need help in finding my book collection that I stored here. I'll be waiting near Room 6.

She walks past Room 1 when a biting wind howls across the hallway. 'Oh first, I'll terminate the lock mode.' She turns on her heels and enters the room while rubbing her hands. She heads to the station where Alexa worked earlier, her gaze falling on one of the screens.