#12 - Reunion

Jason snaps out of his prolonged stance when a wall mount speaker, on the outlying edge of the room, plays a sonorous chime.

'SCAN COMPLETE,' The voice announces from the speaker. 'PATIENT IS STABLE.'

Jason sniffs, blinking his puffy eyes. She's alive. He steps forward to gaze at the comatose patient. She'll wake up soon. He assembles his fragile composure as he trudges toward the bed. I can't believe she's alive. Tears roll down his cheeks when he glances at her face up close. 'Thank God I'm wearing a face mask,' he says, adjusting the foggy mask over his face. 'Otherwise by now, you'd be drenched in my tears,' His laugh slowly transitions to a sob when he touches the blanket draping Carrie's left arm.

'Your sister was detected with necrotizing fascilitis that night,' Anthony says as he treads down the staircase. He pauses to look at a perplexed Jason behind. 'It's a rare infection where the bacteria, when it enters an open wound, destroys skin, muscle and other soft tissues in its path.' The young man widens his eyes in response. 'We were able to stop the spread of the infection,' the physician continues. 'But her left forearm, which had the infected laceration, was severely damaged.' The guardian jerks to a stop. 'We had no choice but to amputate her forearm.'

Jason unfolds the part of the blanket draping his sister's arm. The scar will take another six months to heal internally. The physician's voice chimes in his head. He brushes her residual arm, viewing the faint scar at its end.'I'm sorry,' he blubbers as he sinks to the floor. 'I'm sorry for not being there for you that day.' He rests his heavy head on the bedstead, 'Thank you, Dr. Banks. Thank you for keeping her alive and safe.'

Ping!

Jason jolts awake upon hearing the loud ping. I can't believe I dozed off. He sniffs as he lifts his head, 'Ahh.' He stretches his taut neck and carefully re-positions his numb legs. 'Why did I doze off like this?' He eyes Carrie as he wriggles his feet. She hasn't woken up yet. His gaze shifts to the screen projected on the wall before him. He squints his puffy eyes to read the notification.

THE EMERGENCY MODE HAS BEEN LIFTED. PERMISSION TO TRANSFER PATIENT. Another message appears below it: LOCATION: HYBRID ROOM 1, SECOND FLOOR.

'I should ask Dr. Banks about this,' Jason scans his immaculate surroundings. 'There must be something I can use to contact him.' He spots a wireless intercom in the corner of the room. 'Ah ha,' He treads to the end table and glances at the list of contacts taped beside the intercom.

1 - Elizabeth Banks, Owner of Pearl Manor (2017 - Present), Junior Technician (2012 - Present)

2 - Mark Saltman, Attending Physician (2011 - Present)

3 - Alexa Barrings, Chief Technician (2004 - Present)

'Why isn't Dr. Banks' name on the top?' He fingers through the list. 'Finally,' He reads the rectified contact at the bottom of the page.

9 - Anthony Banks. Chief Physician (2003 - present), Owner of Pearl Manor (2003 - 2017)