#20 - Quality Time

The adroit shapeshifter stands erect, head sagging in utter disappointment. He takes a glimpse of the unconscious duo seated on the couch, letting out a frustrated sigh. Why did I try to multitask?

While he went in to help his niece and brother get out, Tom attempted to seek something he shouldn't have. The shapeshifter examines his palms, the consequential indigo blisters scattered everywhere. "What did Macy and Fred converse?" he mutters, eyes now on an ashen Eliza, neon blue swirls joining their green counterparts on her clammy forehead. I know she'll find a way out.

The shapeshifter flinches, almost stumbling onto Jason's bed, when his brother jerks awake. Tom rushes to the table, grabbing an ice pack and small briefcase. "What is wrong with you?" He says, marching to the physician. "Did Fred make you lose all your marbles?" Anthony laughs, squinting at his unconscious daughter, "Maybe."

He turns to the shapeshifter who opens the briefcase, "She knows about Christina." Tom knits his brows, eyes on the ultramarine vial he retracts, "Who told you to lie?"

"Then what," the physician snaps. "Should I tell her that her scumbag of an uncle, abandoned her in her darkest time?" Tom drops the syringe he holds, clenching his teeth. He lifts his head, "Take that back."

"Why should I?" Anthony protests, crossing his arms. "You chose to-"

"We need to find something," Eliza gasps as she wakes up. She springs up from her seat, oblivious of the two startled men beside her. She peers at the two patients, a wide smile across her face. "I called your mother," she sneers, rubbing her throbbing forehead. She shifts her gaze to her uncle, leaning forward, "Mom, what are you doing here?" Anthony rubs his forehead, "She's hallucinating."

"Then get the antidote!" Tom says, getting up to catch his staggering niece. "Liz," he calls, holding her shoulders. "Hmm," she says, frowning when she sees her dad. "You," she pushes her uncle away, pointing a shaky green-blue finger to the physician. "Why did you hide everything from me?" Anthony sighs, resuming to the task of drawing the vial into a new syringe.

The hallucinaut exhales sharply, "Even I don't want to talk to you." She turns to her uncle who tries to bring her back to the couch. She points to his left hand, "It's not just a tattoo right?" Eliza giggles, covering her mouth. "It's the Xenos Gang trademark," she says.

Anthony freezes, the syringe in his hand trembling. His astounded brother scans the distorted triquetra on his left wrist. She knows about the Xenos gang? They both muse.

An unstable Eliza reels to the center of the hybrid room, sobbing. She squints at her stupefied dad, "Where did you find me?"

"Just give her THE ANTIDOTE!" A voice roars from the doorway.

The flabbergasted Banks brothers jump upon hearing the shrill voice. "DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME?" They turn to see an infuriated Amelia barge into the hybrid room, her scrunched face matching the color of her sloppy bun. "How long will you do this to her?" Nathan, Mark and a queasy Alexa enter the immaculate room, all goggle-eyed at the staggering owner.

"Nobody answers me," Eliza moans, shaking her head to keep her world from spinning. The recumbent Smith siblings sleep peacefully, oblivious of the current events that occur before them.

"Anthony!" Alexa cries to the stupefied physician. "Snap out of your daze and give her the antidote."

"You." Everyone - from a perplexed Anthony to a clueless Nathan - turns around to see the novice shapeshifter plodding toward the vanisher's bed. "Why did you come here?" She croaks, pointing her quivering finger over Jason's serene face. Her uncle rushes to her when she stumbles upon the monitors.