#14 - Discoveries

"Hello," Laura says when she encounters abrupt silence over the line. "Mr. Dames?" She tugs her white iPhone away from her ear and glances at its screen. CALL DISCONNECTED. He didn't know. She gazes at the President's suite on the far end of the illuminated hallway.

"Ma'am, what's your call?" Laura glances at her brooding boss, "Ma'am?"

"She's related to Anthony Banks," she mutters, staring at the telephone before her. "Madam President", the chief calls her out of her trance. "Everyone's awaiting your order." President Clarke gives out a slow exhale, contemplating as she glances at the array of family photos on the bureau. "Call Tom. I want his take on this."

Chief of Staff Laura Oshken strides her way to the President's suite, drawing her stray blonde strands behind her ears. She glances at her phone as she deflects to a narrow corridor. If he doesn't know, then what the hell is he doing in that manor? She breaks into a sprint, now headed to the temporary workplace of the Department of Informatics.

...

The President glares at the beige envelope that lies on her desk, recollecting the unanticipated call from the Owner of Pearl Manor. What just happened? Placing her elbows over the beige incentive, she buries her face in her blanched hands. "If this didn't happen," she mutters, swiveling in her chair to face the mounted portrait of her kids. "I wouldn't have sent you there." She focuses on her son, whose soft blue eyes complement his jovial smile.

"What?" Veronica says as she steps into Hathaway Bridge, glancing at the distant man who eyes the empty freeway underneath. "No disguises this time?" Tom grins as he faces her, his black plaid suit glinting under the harsh sunlight that streams through the truss bridge, "Madam President."

"What a lovely Thursday afternoon," her acquaintance says as she reaches him. He glances around at the officers guarding the premise. "I can't believe it's been fifteen years since this bridge collapsed," he says, studying the steel truss around him. "And I can't believe we took more than a year to track you down," the President mutters, straightening her green pantsuit.

He chuckles, "Well, many things have happened in the past year." He adjusts his round sunglasses. "The ICJ had to rebuild themselves, causing their invaluable agents," he points to himself, "to lay low, so as to protect their loved ones."

"Like how you abandoned your only brother fourteen years ago," Veronica says, recollecting the file she discovered this morning. "That comes under protecting your loved ones?"

"You'll find out soon," The agent replies. "You've already found out about the renouncement papers." He glances at the skyline, "I was wondering what took you so long to find that out. Although I didn't have many resources, it took me just three days to find out everything about you and your family."

The president clears her throat when memories of their first encounter surface, "Well, you'll have to renew it soon, if you want to protect your brother." She checks her watch, "The documents turn into paper in two hours."

"Thank you for your concern," He replies, placing his briefcase on the wide railing. " I will take care of my family matters." He opens the briefcase, "Now, it's time to protect your son." He takes out a beige envelope. "Wait, the Xenos gang are active-"

"It's not that," Tom says, handing her the envelope. The president glances at the lieutenant who stands on the opposite side of the bridge. "I can assure you that I haven't planted a bomb in there," The agent says. It doesn't hurt to be safe. She muses as she waits for the confirmation. When the lieutenant nods in concurrence, the president opens the envelope. Inspecting the verdant documents inside, she lets out a seething exhale. Not again. "I'm not reading this," She hands it back to him. "I told you not to do it."