#18 - The Rusty Telepath

The owner of Pearl Manor races across the hallway, trying to keep a placid demeanor. Why did Fred do this? She scans the empty atrium below as she turns a corner, the gilded locket dangling from her neck. Why were my memories erased in the first place? Eliza halts, hands widespread to break her fall on the smooth marble floor. While she catches her breath, her gaze lands on the open hinged locket.

The novice shapeshifter pulls it closer to shut it, but stops when she notices something. "I don't remember checking what's inside," she mutters. Opening the locket wider, she views two sepia images on either side. "That's me," she says, stunned by the photo on the left. Why is my photo in here? She flits her gaze to the boy's image. I have seen him somewhere. She lifts her head, thinking while glancing at the array of doors on her right. She sighs, closing the locket. Focus, a patient requires immediate attention.

Taking in a deep breath, the owner marches down the hallway, tapping her earpiece. "Jessie, what are the patient's vitals?" She reaches the door, hearing no response from her virtual assistant. "Come on," Eliza snaps, tapping her earpiece. She stops, her gaze on the door before her, "Patient. I have a patient to see." She rubs her face, "Pull yourself together, Eliza."

Her gaze falls on the door lock, "It's unlocked." The owner slides open the door, eyes widened by the sight before her.

Carrie glances at her surroundings as she tries to get up from her bed, the monitors reacting noisily to her increasing heart rate and bp. "I was supposed to be at the airport," she mutters. She shrieks, not at the young, clearly distraught, brunette at the doorstep, but at her amputated arm, "HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?"

"Ms. Smith," the lady says, rushing in. She glances at the alarming monitors, "Ma'am you need to calm down-"

"WHO ARE YOU?" Carrie says, careful with the tubes attached to her arm as she crawls back. Her eyes widen when she notices green blotches on the stranger's hands and forehead. "I'm Elizabeth," she says. "You are in a safe place." She pulls her white suit sleeves down to cover her incandescent marks, "You were in an accident last year."

"What?" The pilot says, trying to remove the straps that hold her to the bed. "Ma'am, you need to stay calm," Eliza says. "I'll explain everything."

"Where's my family?" The patient demands, scanning the hybrid room.

Eliza notices Carrie's wristband, which flickers a purple light. She has powers? "Ma'am, I'll explain everything. You need to calm down." She pauses when her gaze falls a pair of white soles near the foot of the empty bed before her. Oh no.

Carrie traces the oddball who rushes to the adjacent bed. "Where are you going?" Eliza kneels down to examine an unconscious Jason. "He's alright," she mutters, taking off his mask. "Who is he?" The pilot asks, leaning forward. The owner glances at her, "Don't worry. Your brother has just fainted."

"WHAT?" Carrie says, jumping off her bed. "Where is he?" Eliza turns to see the unconscious man, noticing a purple light flickering from his suit. He's invisible. The furious patient exhales sharply, when she gets no response from the young lady, "WILL YOU EXPLAIN WHERE-"

Eliza flits her gaze to Carrie who abruptly stops her speech. She gets up, brows arched, when she sees the patient quietly go back to her bed...with her eyes closed. She flinches when the other patient wakes up, "Jason?" She freezes when she sees his irises radiate a neon blue hue. He had green eyes. She steps back when he springs up. 

"Someone's doing this," Eliza realizes when the young man sleepwalks to his assigned bed. "Uncle?" she scans the front door. She turns, glancing at the alcove, now on her left, "This is not funny."