Chapter 3

Tommy awoke in the morning to loud typing on a keyboard. His shoulders ached but he sat himself up regardless, looking at Tubbo's desk in the corner. As usual, Tubbo was sat in front of his computer with stacks of paper surrounding him and a single pen half-covered by the mess. Tubbo was typing furiously and quickly, from what Tommy could see he was working on some code. Tommy stretched his arms and yawned, getting the boy's attention.

"Morning big man. Where's Ranboob?" Tubbo turned to Tommy and glared at him.

"Bringing in money. What happened last night? Why was Ranboo's water safety button smashed?" Tommy sighed and leaned against the back of the couch. Of course he forgot to check for any damages to their suits.

"I just borrowed it for the night because of the rain and some douchebag knocked into me. I'm sorry, Tubbo." Tubbo sighed and rubbed his eyes. He looked tired, which meant he probably woke up early and immediately went to work on some code for a client.

"Tommy, we can't afford for you to keep breaking shit. That was the first one I got to work after spending hundreds of dollars on it. Of course I wrote down how I made it but it'd still need a good hundred dollars worth just for the materials."

"I know, I know. It was honestly a mistake, I promise it won't happen again. Seriously Tubs, I'll leave it to him next time." Tubbo rubbed his eyes in annoyance and Tommy shrunk back in his seat. What Tubbo really meant was that Tommy couldn't afford to break anything else. Tommy wasn't bringing in enough money. Tommy was the only one without a stable income. Tommy used the most money and made the least money. Tommy was on his last straw three hundred dollars ago. Tommy was lucky Tubbo didn't kick him out yet.

"You're getting a job. I don't care where you work, but if you don't start making money, all of your tech is getting demoted. I'm not letting you break more shit without the cash to pay for it." Tommy sighed and closed his eyes, thankful that he'd been given another chance. Of course he didn't want a job anymore, not after he'd been fired within a week of working several times before, but he'd try his luck again for Tubbo. Besides, a job isn't as bad as being on the streets. Tommy supposed he could just steal the cash, but he was kind of already doing that, just to bad people. He wouldn't rob from a store or anything, which is probably exactly what he'd need to stay on Tubbo's good side.

"Fine, fine. I'll start job searching tomorrow." Tubbo's ears turned red and he turned around to his laptop again, going back to coding more angry than he started. If Tommy could appreciate anything about Tubbo, it was that he was able to keep his temper in check.

"Why not today?" Tommy noticed the dangerous hint to his best friend's voice, and decided to outright tell Tubbo why he wouldn't be going job searching today.

"Because my shoulders hurt, I'm tired, and I need to patrol tonight. I'll just research some job openings today and look into them tomorrow, ok?" Tubbo sighed and Tommy could tell that he was getting out all of his anger in the sigh, which Tommy was glad for. It was an honest reason. Tommy carried both of them really far in one night. He deserved to have a break. Despite the fact he was almost always taking a break. It wasn't really that important.

"Alright, Tommy. You just can't keep pulling this shit. Ranboo's been saving up for years to get us into South. We can barely afford food because of shit like this." Tommy sighed and pushed himself up. Didn't help that their landlord raised their rent after they paid it regularly. It wasn't Tommy's fault. Both Ranboo and Tubbo had two jobs, they should be living in luxury. "I know how hard it was for you after the fire, but it's been months." Tommy glared at Tubbo and walked into the kitchen.

"How many times have I said I don't want to fucken talk about it?" Tommy grumbled and looked in the fridge.

"I know, It's just-"