Chapter 6

Tommy looked up at the tall building and fixed his clothes. He messed his hair a bit and walked into the building. It looked like what he'd seen of a hospital waiting room. A desk with someone sitting behind it talking to someone at the front of a long line of people, chairs with multiple people sitting in them either talking to people in suits or taking selfies. Tommy grimaced and walked into the line of people, standing at the end of it behind some guy in a blue t-shirt. The guy turned around and smiled at him, he was holding a stack of papers to his chest and seemed too excited to be there.

"You here for the interview too? I hear over 100 people are going for it! Not much of a chance that you'll get it, but I wish you the best of luck!" Tommy nodded and smiled slightly. He interacted with civilians all the time, this would be easy.

"You not? Is it usually so crowded in here?" The guy nodded and Tommy watched as someone walked to an elevator and got in, going up. The line moved forward a bit and Tommy sighed anxiously.

"Oh, I work here already. And yes, it is always this crowded. See those guys in the suits?" The guy pointed at someone and Tommy looked at them. He noticed that everyone in a suit had a folder or briefcase and he nodded before looking back at the guy. "Yeah, those are lawyers. I manage the cases they bring in and decide what we do about it. Some people get mad at us and file lawsuits but they normally get dismissed. We're trying to convince the government to pass a law to make us immortal to legal action." Tommy hummed and nodded. It made sense that the hero committee would deal with legal issues since they have trouble not destroying things.

"Maybe if you have a court meeting and show them all the obscene lawsuits it could work. I'm sure people wreck their stuff and try blaming it on you to get rich." The guy grinned widely and nodded eagerly. The line moved forward and Tommy took a deep breath.

"That's incredible thinking! I was thinking the same thing just the other day, that's what these papers are. I just need the documentation of everyone who's come in with a false accusation." Tommy nodded and they stood in silence for a while. The line moved slowly and eventually the guy in front of Tommy was getting the papers he needed. Before he left, the guy looked at Tommy and held out his hand.

"It was nice meeting you, I hope I see you around. By the way, that yellow looks horrible on you." Tommy shook the guy's hand and looked up at the hair. He didn't think his hair was that bad. And yellow? Maybe the guy thought it was dyed. It is a pretty prominent blond.

"Uhm.. thanks but, my hair isn't dyed. It's naturally like this." The guy looked shocked for a second and giggled quietly.

"No, not your hair. Your hair looks lovely. I meant your vest." Tommy looked down at his very red vest and when he looked up again, the guy was in the elevator and the doors were closing. Tommy shook off the experience and walked up to the front desk, smiling at the obviously exhausted receptionist.

"How can I help you today?" Tommy grimaced at the forced customer service voice and hummed. The guy was wearing a red plaid shirt with a black coat over it. His brown hair was greasy and tousled as though he'd been running his hands through his hair every chance he could get.

"How does it feel to work for heroes but still have to do customer service?" The receptionist glared at him and Tommy almost laughed in his face. He kept it together though and straightened himself out. He was here to get a job, he shouldn't be a dick to the second worker he talks to.

"Are you here to ask invasive questions or are you here for something?" Tommy smiled and hid his hands behind his back.

"I'm here for the interview." The receptionist nodded and typed some things into his computer. He looked Tommy up and down and typed some more things down.