Chapter 8

"Yes, thank you." Tommy hung up the phone and finished getting ready for his first day of work. He was excited, as anyone would be. Ranboo had left the day before to care for some rich guy's cat for a week so Tommy was planning on calling him after work to tell him how it went. They still didn't know where he worked, but they had asked about it. Tommy told them not to worry about it and that he'd tell them after his first paycheck came in. They agreed to it and Tommy was off the hook temporarily. He'd have to find a business in North or East to work at as a cover, or just be honest with them. They wouldn't be happy if they knew, unless Themis told Ranboo and he's just acting dumb to see what Tommy does. It unsettles Tommy a bit to think about, but he ignores it as he starts walking to work. He likes working in the middle of the day. It leaves plenty of time to rest before and after patrol.

Tommy walked up to the tall building and took a deep breath. He walked in and up to the front desk, seeing a girl with pink hair in a messy bun at the front desk. Tommy walked up to the front desk and waved at the girl. She smiled brightly at him and typed something into her computer.

"How can I help you?" Tommy looked around the room. The chairs were filled with people in suits with briefcases and people talking to those people. Lawyers and clients, if he remembered correctly. Tommy wasn't entirely sure what he was supposed to say, so when he turned and saw the girl watching him expectantly, his mind completely blanked.

"What?" The girl huffed a laugh and pulled out her phone, texting someone. She looked up at Tommy and smiled softly.

"What's your name?" Tommy froze for a second and hid his hands behind his back, squeezing his hands together.

"Tommy." She typed into her phone again and after a few seconds looked up at Tommy and giggled quietly.

"Hello Tommy. When you come in, you can just go straight up to their floor." Tommy nodded and walked to the elevator, waving awkwardly. He just got bested by a customer service worker. He's definitely seen better days. Tommy pressed the button to go to the 28th floor and sighed happily as the elevator doors closed. He decided that he would just complain about the fact a woman was at the front desk instead of the guy Tommy saw last time. It threw him off his groove. Tommy pulled his phone out of his pocket and scrolled through Twitter while he waited to get to his floor. He was a bit nervous but it'd be fine. Tommy would win them over with his charm. The elevator door opened and Tommy walked out, putting his phone away and looking around. The sign from before was gone, so that made sense. Must've just been for the interview.

"Tommy! Come with me." Tommy looked at Wilbur and walked over to him. Wilbur walked into his office and Tommy followed. Tommy watched Wilbur pick up a notebook and look through it. Tommy looked around the room and Wilbur walked up to him.

"Ok, so basically for your first couple of weeks I'll be in charge of everything you do. I have a list here of the things you'll get done in a day. Today we're just going to get you familiar with your surroundings and have you meet everyone you'll be working with. Sound good?" Tommy nodded and Wilbur smiled, leading Tommy further into the floor. The place looked like it was designed to be a house and a workspace, which was probably why Themis had a secret house. Get away from the space if he needed to.

"This is the kitchen, we have lunch together on weekends so you'll be wanted there but it's not required. We have the living room, you can do any work in there that you need a lot of space. This hallway is the rooms, don't go in any of them unless invited or in the case of an emergency. That's Themis's office and that's The Angel's office, knock before going in either of them. You've already seen my office. This will be your office." Wilbur opened a door and reached in, flicking a light switch. The light turned on and Tommy looked in to see a smallish room with a desk against the wall and a chair behind it. There wasn't anything else in the room, but the desk did have a desk lamp on it. There was also a laptop on the desk. It looked a bit more expensive than Tommy was used to.