Chapter 8

Scarlett's hand squeezed mine tighter. The second guard inched farther in front of us, adjusting his grip on the small handgun he aimed at the feet of the intruder. The creature took a step farther into the room and the guard raised the weapon to shoulder height, aiming it now at his chest.

The creature's hands moved so fast that I could hardly process what happened. The guard was now turned to face us, held tightly against the man's chest. His weapon pressed against his temple in the hand of the intruder.

"No!" I yelled out. I realized my mistake the minute I made it. Another man sauntered into the room around the first. He stopped in front of us, looking us up and down, and met my eyes. He raised a hand and moved his finger in a 'come hither' motion at me.

Elliot, who was standing diagonally to my left, slid his body in front of me silently. I squeezed my eyes shut in fear for him. The room stayed silent other than a slight shuffling sound. I could feel Scarlett's hand begin shaking slightly.

A rough hand gripped my elbow and yanked me. Opening my eyes as I was flung forward, I saw Elliot back in the position he originally was in, off to the side. His head held and faced away from the man, teeth clenched tightly in anger.

Scarlett cried out, refusing to let go, and was pulled with me. I struggled to keep a grip on her as we were hauled out of the room. Two other male creatures pushed passed us to enter the small room. Scarlett's lady wept loudly.

Once out in the hallway, another large male grabbed my sister, ripping her away with such force that our hands separated. I began screaming out now, struggling against the strong arms of my holder.

I hated how helpless I felt right now, it reminded me of how I felt when the news of my mother came in. That feeling of desperately wanting to do something in a situation where nothing could be done flooded back to me. The memories of that night blurred through my brain. The screams of my father. My mother's blood covered her and my father's bodies. The workers forced me away from the scene. That's what this feels like. This feels like I'm being forced out of and into a situation all at the same time.

Georgia and Alexandra's screams filled my ringing ears. I felt as though I was watching from the other side of the hall as I got dragged away with Scarlett, Georgia, and Alexandra. I caught glimpses of the workers and guard holding my brother, James, and Elijah back.

The creature holding the guard backed him out of the room before throwing him to the ground, tossing the pistol next to him. I was spun to face them. Something sharp threatening against my neck. Reaching my hand to my neck, I found only my capture's hand. The men holding us were lycans.

Everything moved so fast, before I knew it we were in one of our enclosed carriages. I was sitting next to Scarlett and across from two of the men. They barked orders outside the windows to the coach of the carriage. I don't know where the other men went with Alexandra and Georgia.

My brain began to grip onto reality again as Scarlett gripped my hand, squeezing it tightly. I breathed deeply, in and out through my nose and mouth trying to calm myself. I felt something wet on my face and reached up to feel it. I wiped my cheek, realizing I must have been crying heavily.

"Where are you taking-" I spoke, my voice cracking just above a whisper.

"Shut it, Princess." The larger of the two men said.

"She's a duch-" Scarlett attempted to defend me.

"Shut. Up." He spoke louder now, eyes flickering gold momentarily. "We need to speak to Valerio" His teeth gritted and I caught a glimpse of his razor-sharp canines peaking from under his lip. I realized then where we were going. The wolves were using us as protection to get to the Main Palace, knowing the West Vales Palace wasn't nearly as guarded.