Chapter 17

I struggled to eat my food, my panic and discomfort dissipated my appetite. Elliana didn't say anything to me but occasionally placed a comforting hand on my leg or arm. Azerynir did even less.

He didn't look me in the eyes once, only glanced at my struggle to cover my wrist now and then. Luckily, the pressure stopped the bleeding and I was able to prevent too much of a mess. Blood covered my hand and injured arm, and a few smears patterned my exposed thigh.

After we finished eating, everyone began standing and continued their socializing. Andras stood and walked over to me.

He smiled lightly and held out his hand. I reluctantly took his hand, scared of what would happen if I refused. He gently pulled me to my feet and reached out for my injured arm. He eyed me cautiously and carefully removed the makeshift bandage.

"Azerynir, are you not going to heal your woman?" He asked, looking behind me. I glanced over my shoulder to see Azerynir still sitting in his chair watching us.

"Isn't that supposed to be your job?" He snapped back, clearly still angry.

They stared at each other for what seemed like forever before the man finally responded, "Very well". He then began to bring my wrist up to his mouth.

Azerynir jumped up behind me and pulled my arm away faster than I could comprehend. He pulled me to face him and glared at the man. I turned to look back at the older demon to find him smiling proudly.

I didn't understand this interaction. It was as if he wanted Azerynir to step in, was taunting him to do something, and finally got his way. Azerynir looked down at my wrist before bringing it to his mouth.

His eyes met mine before his lips met my skin. He slowly opened his mouth and kissed down on my wrist, still holding my gaze. I felt his tongue press into me and after a moment his eyes rolled back almost in pleasure.

He pulled back panting and dropped my wrist. His eyes glowed red when he blinked them open and averted his gaze away from me. He squeezed his eyes shut and swallowed. He blinked his eyes open rapidly and the redness flickered away.

"What the fuck was that?" I asked him, I did not agree to any of this when I accepted his invitation to the ball.

He placed a hand behind my back and began leading me out of the ballroom. He pulled me down a few hallways and after what seemed like forever, pulled me into a room. He closed the doors behind us and I looked around.

A library. We were in a library and the irony of the situation made me laugh out loud. At my last ball, I snuck away to a library with Christian.

Azerynir frowned at me and gaped his mouth in confusion as he watched me hysterically laugh while tears rolled from my eyes. I couldn't hold anything in anymore. I was confused, overwhelmed, and utterly angry.

Once I regained myself, I stood up straight and looked over at him. He stood frozen in the same spot, still gawking at me.

"I don't know what is happening anymore!" I exclaimed up to the ceiling, "You guys drink blood like fucking vampires, some of you think I'm a damn prophecy, and I just met with my dead mother." I threw my arms around wildly as I spoke and breathed heavily.

"Don't fucking call us that" He said softly, referring to the term vampire.

A few tears fell from my eyes and I knew for sure these were out of frustration. Azerynir didn't move, he just stood there looking at me helplessly. His stare made me feel like some poor, rabid animal.

"Azerynir" I yelled at him, wanting a reaction.

"What," he said hesitantly, clearly not knowing how to respond. I groaned loudly and turned my back to him. I brought my hands to my forehead and closed my eyes. I breathed deeply and forced myself to relax. I turned back around to him and dropped my arms.