Chapter 28

"I don't mean an harm, just passing through" I yelled back in a panic.

The man whispered back to someone behind him before replying, "Are you human?"

"Yes! I am" I said in defense, hoping he would be kind.

I saw the light grow brighter as he walked toward me with someone else behind him. I made out eventually that it was an elderly woman. They both appeared to be around their 60s in human years but I knew they were not human.

The woman spoke to me in a concerned, mothering tone, "Vienna! What are you doing out here at this hour? Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything is fine" I was quick to say, "I don't mean any harm, I'm just passing through, I promise".

"Passing through to where?". The man said,

I sucked in a breath and licked my lips, not sure if I could trust these two or not, "Lucy told me you would help me get past those mountains." I said, pointing at the range across the small lake.

They both looked at each other wearily and the man spoke, "Serene, go put a pot of tea on the stove" then he turned to me, "Why don't you come inside to talk" He turned around and walked to the door, leaving me with no option but to follow. I jumped down from Jager and tethered the rains to a tree.

The man sat in the front dining room. I've never seen the inside of the cottage, only the outside where everyone comes to enjoy the beautiful view. I sat across from him.

"I need to leave soon." I told him.

"Oh," He gruffed, "You'll never make it with that hell storm coming in. You'll leave in the morning."

"No! I can't wait that long, please. I need to leave now" I panicked.

"What did you say you were running from again?" He asked as Serene set the tea down in front of us and took a seat.

I froze, "I didn't say I was running". I eyed the man.

"You said it was a journey but you can't fool a man like me. No human would dare to wonder around in hell, let alone be in this realm unaccompanied" He said in a matter of fact manner.

Serene interrupted him, "Kurchlee, be nice to the girl" She scolded him, grabbing two of the plates then turning to me, "You don't have to share anything if you aren't comfortable".

I smiled lightly at her. "Where's the storm?" I asked, worried about my travels.

"Over there, just above the mountains to the east," he pointed in the direction, "there's a red tint in the clouds. That will form into a pretty nasty storm in the next hour or so, you don't want to get yourself caught in it".

"I'm trying to get over those mountains as soon as possible, I can't stay here long."

The two of them looked up at me cautiously, Serene spoke up, "Those mountains are the border between this kingdom and the second. The storms that form between the kingdoms are different than normal, they have magical properties. Getting caught in one could get you transported into purgatory, those storms aren't for the faint hearted."

My breath quickened as helplessness took over me, "There has to be another way, please." I begged.

"Who are you so afraid of?" Kurchlee asked. Serene bumped him with her elbow and scowled at him.

"Azerynir" I whispered, "I need to get out of this kingdom, please"

I'm am not going to be pushed around any more by stupid rules, laws, and traditions. I've been dealing with it my whole life and the sense of self I've gained over the last few months has urged me to take control of my life.