Chapter 22

Scampering on my bed, I dropped the books and keys down. Before opening the first book, I eyed the door. No lock.

Jumping up I shoved the couch in front of the door, making far too much noise than I would have liked and jumped back on the bed. The second I opened the cover of the ancient journal, a knock sounded at the door.

I froze, heart, lungs, muscles and all. Grabbing the books and keys I slid them under the bed and ran to the door. Picking up one edge to pivot the couch, another knock sounded.

"One second!" I shakily called out.

I cracked the door open just enough for half my body to show through, I didn't want whoever it was to see the couch.

To my surprise, the blonde demon Azerynir liked to play with was outside my door. She had her hands held behind her back and lips tucked between her teeth. "Hi" She said, large blue eyes blinking rapidly.

"Uh, hi" I breathed out. I was frozen in shock.

She clicked her tongue, "We're neighbors" She seemed timid about something, shy almost.

I frowned, snapping out of my anxious state, "Yeah?"

"I'm Aurelia, I thought I should introduce myself.

"Vienna" I turned my head to the side a bit, eyeing her out of the corner of my eye. She nodded at me, clearly already knowing my name.

"I just heard some noise and wanted to make sure everything was good". She rocked on her heels.

"All good" I looked her up and down cautiously, wanting her to leave me alone, "Thanks". I began closing the door but she pushed a hand against it, keeping it open.

"Listen, I don't mean any harm, I promise. I know she was here and I know where she took you".

I opened the door just enough to stare at her with one eye. She appeared genuine enough and I pulled the door open as much as it could with the couch in the way. I didn't say anything, just went to push the couch further while she slipped in.

"Jeeze" She laughed when she saw the couch, "He's not here, don't worry".

"How did you know she was here?" I asked.

She rubbed the back of her neck, "I saw you guys".

"When?" I asked.

She pursed her lips and looked down, "I didn't mean to stalk or anything. I was watching from the shadows".

"Huh?" I questioned. I didn't understand at all what she meant.

"Demons can vanish into shadows. Teleport through them." She told me, now playing with a few of the rings on her fingers.

I raised my eyebrows, "You were following us?"

"Yes, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to invade. It's just" She looked away briefly, "Lucy is kind of a touchy name around here and she rarely shows face because of it."

I nodded and watched her walk over to my bed, sitting down on it. My eyes shifted to the items I hid under it briefly hoping she wouldn't notice. Unfortunately, she did.

Almost immediately she hopped down and peered under the bed, grabbing the items. Once they were in hand, she turned to look at me with a wild look of surprise, "You took them?" She exclaimed, a hint of excitement in her voice.

"Yeah, I thought you were following us?" I asked.

"I was up until you guys entered the room. There are wards around it to keep other demons out. After that I watched through the windows of the old quarters. It's too bright in there, not enough shadows. I didn't know this is what you had in your hands!"