Chapter 15

When I walked into the dining hall I was surprised to see someone else sitting at the table. Solik smiled up at me, sitting across from where I normally sat.

I walked over to my seat, smiling back at him confused. I haven't ever seen a demon eat and wondered if they did. I also wondered where they eat, I usually am the only one here during meal times.

"I have good news," He said, watching me pull out my chair and sit, "Your mother will be visiting after dinner".

"Tonight?" I gasped. This was short notice and I wished I had longer to prepare myself. It has been around 5 years since I've seen my mother. I didn't like to keep track of the time, it bothered me too much.

"Yes, is there somewhere specific you would like to visit with her?" He asked politely, sensing my discomfort.

Memories of my mother and I flooded back to me. The time she brought me to a lake to learn to swim. When I got older and she would lay in the sun with me and Scarlett, talking about things only us girls could talk about. When she would play chess with me in the sunroom. The time she snuck me out of my room to let me try alcohol for the first time.

That last memory stuck with me for a moment. I remember being so confused when she jumped on my bed to wake me, dragging me up and out of my room, giggling the whole time. She had brought me to the cocktail room where guests would gather during events for drinks.

We sat at the large bar, just us two in our sleeping gowns, while Gerard served us different drinks. That was a place we often met to have mother-daughter talks. It was also a place I would find her when she was upset.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up. Solik had moved around the table to comfort me. I reached up and wiped the tear that slid down my face. He crouched down and moved his hands to one of mine, holding it gently. I felt the emotional pain slip away.

"I know this isn't easy, if you would like me to be there I can." He said softly to me.

"No," I shook my head, "you guys have that smaller ballroom with a bar right?" I asked. He nodded his head at me, listening attentively. "I would like to meet her there," I said.

Solik walked back to his seat as our food was brought out to us. I watched in surprise as he ate. After dinner, he escorted me to the small ballroom with the bar. He sat me down in one of the seats and a soul appeared behind the bar.

Solik nodded at the man and turned to walk away. The soul smiled lightly at me, waiting for me to ask for a drink.

I thought for a moment, thinking back to what my mother used to drink. I wondered if souls even drink.

"I apologize for asking, uh, do souls drink?" I asked him.

He chuckled before answering, "Yes, we still enjoy alcohol. Although, it won't affect us as quickly as it would for you or the demons."

I nodded my head, "I think she would like some kind of Martini if you could make it on the sweeter side. I'll do that as well." I said to him.

He nodded and smiled at me, "I think I can do that for you" then turned and began crafting the cocktails.

I turned to look back at the large doors I entered through. They were closed shut along with all of the double doors along the walls. My heart hammered in my chest, anticipating them to open at any moment.

"Are you alright?" The man asked me. I turned back to look at him as he set the glass in front of me. It was light pink and was garnished with a wheel of lime. He slid the other one to the seat next to me.

"Yes, just a bit nervous." I hesitated to tell him more but decided maybe he should be aware of what was about to happen. "My mother is visiting from the heavens, I haven't seen her in years".