Chapter 13

I heard a soft knock on the door. It was probably Elizabeth again. I had been laying in bed all day, refusing to get up. I wanted to just lay here and wallow in my feelings. Last night pushed me over the edge and I wanted more than ever now to just go home.

Elizabeth had come in early this morning to find the mess in the bathroom. She was highly alarmed by the blood and glass. Luckily, she didn't push me too hard on it and cleaned it up.

"Vienna, it's me again. Can I come in?" Elizabeth called through the door. After I didn't answer she said, "I'm with Solik". I didn't want to see anyone but felt it would be an embarrassing first impression if I turned them away. I sat up in bed and tucked my legs to my chest.

I wondered how I would explain my hand to this man. Would he even ask? I probably looked horrible after last night and worried about that first impression he would have on me.

"Okay". I said. I was nervous to hear what he had to say about my mother. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to see her. I knew eventually I would leave the land of the dead. The grieving process I went through when she was gone was horrible. I barely remember much of it but I remember the feelings enough to know I never wanted to experience it again.

The door clicked open and Elizabeth crept in. Behind her was a tall man who I believed was Solik. He was very handsome, angelic even. He had brown wavy hair, piercing green eyes, and a soft, gentle masculinity.

His slightly scruffed but well-put-together look make me even more uncomfortable with the state I was in. Elizabeth stopped and sat on one of the chairs in the side of the room. Solik continued walking to my bed. His kind eyes studied me as he did, I looked down at the bed sheets feeling insecure.

He sat on the bed in front of me, "Vienna" He whispered.

I looked up at him, the second I met his eyes a wave of calmness washed over me. It's as if his eyes held me in a trance of relaxation. I felt my mind wanting to panic but it never came.

He looked down at my hand that was tucked against my stomach and reached out his hand. I'm sure Elizabeth told him what happened. I thought of how Azerynir healed my neck and refused to give my hand over. I didn't need another man putting his mouth on me, as good-looking as this one was.

"Let me see your hand," he said, still holding his out. His voice was soothing and made me want to move in closer to him.

I let the cloth around my wound fall to my lap. My hand reached out and placed in his. I didn't intentionally do it but whatever spell he had me under seemed to work.

He reached up with his other hand and gently placed it in my wounded hand. He pressed down firmly, making me wince. After a second or two he let go and the cuts were gone. The only thing that remained on my hand was the dried blood.

I stared down at my hand in awe, mouth hanging open in surprise. Why the fuck did Azerynir put his mouth on my neck? Solik's hand gently cradling underneath mine slipped away. The warmth from his hand still lingered on mine,

"I heard you wanted to know about your mother?" He said lightly, looking at me from under his lashes.

"Uh, yes". I said, my mouth still hanging open. I shut it quickly and tried to frown. The calmness over my body wouldn't allow me to. I relaxed my legs down in front of me and crossed my ankles, leaning my body back against the headboard.

I admired his facial features. He had soft-looking, full lips that moved smoothly every time he spoke.

Solik placed a hand on my shin and I looked down at it. "I can bring her here to visit you if you'd like?" He asked. Another wave of ease caressed my senses.