Chapter 10, I am Carol...

??? POV

4 months before it all...

It's dark...the only thing I can do is lay in this cold and empty room...I don't get it. Why was I made into this human weapon? My family, my life, Filia...all gone. I can hear footsteps getting closer to my door, it's him...Braindrain. The bastard who did this to me, but no...these footsteps sound like... Creeeek... HER.
"Get up, we're leaving." It was Valentine, his assistant...I hated her, almost as much as I hated him. "I'm not going anywhere, now get out before I cut you into pieces." I don't want to go near her, I don't even want to be in the same room with her, still, I can't shake the feeling that something isn't right. She went over and grabbed a suitcase that was covered by old blankets and began to pack what little I had, I even saw her sneak in what looked like new clothes... The next thing I knew she grabbed my hand and the suitcase and she started to drag me out the room.

3rd Person:

Valentine and the girl continued to walk through the halls of Lab 0, an old Lab that was rumored to be abandoned by the Canopy Kingdom's former King Franz. The lab was kept running in secret by the twisted scientist known as Braindrain, who would conduct unauthorized experiments and create human weapons to combat the SkullGirl. The rain from outside was heavy as thunder flashed and roared, Valentine along with the girl soon reached the exit, but were stopped by the sound of a voice...HIS voice.
"And just where do you think you two are headed?" Braindrain himself said, standing only 10 feet away from them. Valentine turned around, putting on a black coat and tossing a smaller one to the girl. "Away from you and this damn shithole of a lab." She replied, looked back at him in disgust. Though she worked for him, she never did like him. He was the reason so many innocents died due to the experiments he did. He was the reason why the girl standing right behind her was turned into a weapon. He... was the reason her former friends were dead. "And where else would you both go? You belong here, how else would anyone stop the SkullGirl if you and codename Painwheel are gone from here?" Braindrain started to slowly walk closer to Valentine, trying to get into her mind and make her stay and continue assisting him in his atrocious actions. Once he was in the light his mechanical fingers and red eyes were only vaguely visible, but his glowing visible brain from inside his cyborg-like head was clear to see. "What would the Last Hope think about this?" He spoke more. This was the last straw for her, her friends gave their lives up for this person and yet he couldn't care less. "What would they think..." She stomped closer to him, hitting him with the back of her hand as he stumbled backward and began to slowly walk back. "..What they would think is that you are a sick, twisted, and disgusting piece of shit who made me rob this poor girl of her old life. YOU are nothing but a garbage man, and you no longer have ANY authority over the both of us!" She grabbed him by the neck of his long coat and pushed him onto the floor. He looked as if he had just seen death itself. "Don't you ever try to look for us..." She turned around and said one more thing before walking back to 'Painwheel'. "...ever." She pushed open the doors and walked out with the young girl, leaving the scientist alone on the floor of Lab 0.

They continued to walk the streets of New Meridian until they reached Maplecrest, a small neighborhood close to the city. "That mansion... you said you have a friend who lives there with her family, right?" Valentine turned to the girl, the girl nodded and walked closer to the front door. Valentine placed the suitcase down and sighed. "Well, go ahead and knock, we don't have all day for this." Valentine said. The girl knocked on the door, a mere minute after a brunette opened the door for them. "Oh can I-" The brunette looked at the other girl who had taken her mask off to show her face which had stitch marks in the shape of an X. "Filia..." The girl replied. Filia had been a long time friend of the girl who had only recently remembered her after losing her memories in a terrible incident which gained her a hair parasite called Samson. "...is it ok with we stay here with you?" Filia nodded at the question and opened the door wide for them, the girl walked in first but Valentine stayed outside. "I'll smoke out here for a few minute, afterwards I'll come inside." She leaned forward and pulled down her face mask. She kissed the young girl on her forehead and hugged her. "You go on and rest now Carol."
Carol... the real name of the girl before her identity was changed, her name...was Carol.
And so she nodded and sat down on the couch as Filia shut the door, but... "Wait, the suitcase!" Carol stood up and rushed back to open the door. "Sorry, I almost forgot about the...suit...case." Instead of being met with the tall blue haired woman, she was left with the suitcase and a letter on top of it. Carol looked around and picked it up reading the words... I'm sorry.

Carol's POV:

It's been months since that happened, I still haven't opened the letter. I don't get it, why would she just leave without me? Did she go back to Lab 0? No, she would ever do that... I could only ever think those words, and then.. I heard a knock on the door. "Carol? Are you doing ok?" Filia opened the door to our room, ever since her parents died she hasn't had anyone other than Samson, I share her room so we both have each other's company. "Yeah, I'm just still thinking about that night..." I sighed. She walked over to a drawer where I keep my belongings and pulled it open, grabbing the letter and handing it to me. "Here, I'll be right with you if you need a shoulder to cry on." She smiled at me. I felt myself blush as I slowly opened the letter and read it...

     Carol,
I haven't told you this, but I'm going to re-enlist in the Black Egrets. There isn't much I've told you at all but know for sure by the time your reading this I'll either have found a place to live in, or gone to the Canopy Kingdom. I heard that in a few months Parasoul would host a celebration over the SkullGirls recent defeat, I might visit her to re-enlist but I'll have to get an invite from the Egrets or someone higher up.
Don't ever let your new smile fade away.

                 I'll miss you kiddo~ Valentine

                       End of Chapter 10...