Chapter 12. Dark Patch

Saturday

Time: 2:04pm

Location: the slums of New Meridian

3rd person POV:

Sometimes old habits die hard, sometimes loose ends get cut off, but past associations never seem to be forgotten. This is true for some people, and this is very true for Black Dahlia, personal body guard, enforcer of the Medici crime family... and former ASG member.

This particular day, she decided to take a walk into the "filthy, depressing, and eyesore" of New Meridian; The Slums

This particular day, she decided to take a walk into the "filthy, depressing, and eyesore" of New Meridian; The Slums. Her heels clicked against the ground, her mechanical legs clicking with each step she took, her giant revolver cannon on display for the citizens to watch. A woman once turned into a weapon for good driven to insanity and now in the criminal underworld...

She could care less about her vile crimes. She had no sympathy for anything or anyone, the reason for her strolls was simple; to watch the miserable faces of the city for a smile. "The smell of sickness and poverty...it never fails to make me so happy." She muttered behind her mask as she continued to walk down the street. She reaches her final stop but...something seems off to her. Usually there would be cowering faces and fearful whispers, now it felt like daggers were being thrown at her through the eyes of the less fortunate. These rats... what could they be thinking, perhaps they want to strip me for my weaponry? Hah! I'd like to see them try. She thought to herself.

Then a stranger joined her, sporting a long blood red coat and hat, wearing bright red shoes and a white mask. "It's a nice day out, I suppose that's why your walking all by yourself?" The stranger spoke, her voice sounded calm yet it had a hint of seriousness to it. "And just who might you be?" Dahlia replied, turning her head to the stranger. Upon closer look she had pale grey skin much like Dahlia herself, her left eye quite the catcher. Red with a cross shaped pupil. "Face forward, we aren't friends. Nor are we associates." The woman said, keeping her eyes and face forward. Dahlia did what she said as a smile grew on her mask, she had already figured out who she was talking to. How could she possibly forget someone as eye catching as this woman? It's no doubt that she was talking to... "Miss Valentine, it's been quite a while. Though it saddens me, our time as ASG soldiers meant nothing to you."

Both women walked more and more until they reached cliff side view of the sea, then Valentine sliced her coat into shreds, her elite outfit white and red with a black patch on the center. "Oh? Looks like little blue hair is working with the big and powerful pwincess." Dahlia mocked her, priming her cannon at her. "Very well, if it's a fight you want I'll gladly give it to you."

"Be our spy."

". . ."

"Well now...you have to be a special kind of stupid to ask that." Dahlia growled, her grim smile faded away, she kept the barrel of her cannon primed at blue haired gal. She just couldn't believe her ears. A spy? for the Black Egrets?! Never in her lifetime would she ever think that such a proposition would be offered to her. "Now why would I ever think of working for that rich snob of a princess."

"Because your working for a whole family of rich snobs, Dahlia." Valentine spoke, inching slowly towards her despite the fact that with one simple move, her life could be ended within seconds. She'd probably have her lifeless body tossed into the sea afterwards, and yet the thought of death didn't scare her. The thought of having to kill such an opponent brought her anxiety however, how would she even be able to beat such a powerhouse like her? "Whatever you had to go through back in the labs, I'm sure it was hell but with the Egrets it's different. You don't have to worry about losing your mind or whatever kind of crap the Medici give you."

Dahlia let down her cannon and approached her. "One mission, I'll do ONE mission for the little princess, and just maybe I'll consider being an informant." She scowled, the thought of working with such people made her sick. Then again, she isn't very fond of her current employers either. "Good, your starting to come around." Valentine smiled, she turned right and walked further down the neighborhood. "Your first task involves planting a hidden camera in a little someone's room. We need to gather as much intel as possible before we try to make a move on the Medici, try to get close to that clown Cerabella. And we have another job already available so if you'd like you can take that one on first." She said through her mask, stopping and turning around to face Black Dahlia. "This one is a bit personal for me.

"Tell me what needs to be done, and I might just comply." Dahlia sighed. Valentine took a deep breath and looked up. "Break into Lab 0, and find out what Brain Drain is up to." Dahlia thought to herself. Why would Brain Drain be so important? And can't she just go see for herself?... it doesn't make sense. "I don't see why I should..." But before Black Dahlia could say another word, Valentine vanished into thin air. "...Lab 0, hm? I could use a little warmup before I do anything else." She said to herself, soon she began her first unofficial mission as a spy. Operation: Experiments.

                        End of Chapter 12