Be the Light in My Darkness Part 3

Approaching her lovely, colonial-style home, you caught someone's shadow peeking from behind a curtain before vanishing. She was right, her home wasn't too far from the park. Sensing your uneasiness, Alcina wanted you to feel welcomed and comfortable with her, especially with her daughters. "Don't worry. I told them that I was bringing home a guest."

Your eyebrows squished together. "How do they know that?"

She pulled out her smartphone and waved around in the air. "I texted them." She then tapped her screen and explained, "VoiceOver is a software that provides exact descriptions of what I'm "seeing," which allows me to make phone calls, text, browse, and do everything that others do with their phones."

"That's fascinating. And what about that watch of yours? I noticed it earlier and wanted to ask you about it."

"A braille watch. Here, allow me to explain it." She searched for your hand and placed your fingers on her wrist. "Do you feel the embossments? Whenever I touch the dial in the center, it vibrates and notifies me of the time. There are other types of braille watches for the visually impaired, but they're much more advanced and expensive. I am satisfied with this older model. It does the job."

"That's really cool. They look more stylish, too." You evaluated it more closely and found that you knew very little about blindness. Perhaps after spending more time with Alcina, you'd learn more about her, thus gaining a greater understanding of how she viewed the world.

"Mother!" a voice announced cheerfully. A girl with red hair swung the door wide open and then launched herself off the front deck. Her exuberance was most palpable. "You're her! Oh my goodness! You're, like, so pretty! I'm Daniela!" She clasped your hand and shook it with such enthusiasm that it surprised you enough to lean back.

Looking past her, you saw a blonde and taller girl arguing and pushing, what you presumed to be her sister, back into the house. "Are you out of your mind? Put that bat away now! You'll scare her off!"

"I'm just making sure she's safe!"

"Mother wouldn't have brought home a stranger if she didn't think they were safe! Behave!" Bela threatened her through her gritted teeth before plastering on an affable smile and stepping out. "Hi, there! You must be her. Mother told us she was bringing home a pretty girl!" Her teasing remark caused Alcina to turn her face away from you as she adjusted her sunglasses to hide the faint blush on her cheeks. If you weren't by her side, she might've smacked her daughter with her cane.

You felt nervous, watching the last daughter advancing in your direction. She appeared intimidating, and her face wasn't nearly as friendly. Bela narrowed her eyes at her sister and cleared her throat before giving her a hard nudge toward you. "And this is Cassandra! Don't mind her, she's just being a little shy at this moment."

"Hi," Cassandra greeted you coolly. "And you must be?"

"Well, since all of you have already handled the introductions," Alcina acknowledged, "this is Y/N, girls."

You gave them a tiny wave. "Hi! Uh, how do you do?"

"How do you do?" Daniela mimicked you, giggling and raising her hand to her mouth. "You kinda sound like Eliza Doolittle. I like you! Wanna come inside? I'll show you around!" Before you knew it, this ebullient girl was dragging you inside their home. You weakly resisted her and stubbed your foot against the threshold. The daughters seemed polite. Cassandra worried you a bit, but you were certain that Alcina wouldn't let her do anything to you.

"So, that's her, huh?" Bela asked her mother in a hushed voice. "She's the one who was attacked in the park?"

"Yes." Alcina frowned, lowering her sunglasses and sighing. "She's been through a lot.  I want the both of you to be courteous and very careful with the questions you ask her, especially you, Cassandra."