Chapter-52

I ran out into the corridor, trying to compose myself. I leaned against a wall, taking in deep breaths. I had lost control over my emotions and I didn't understand it at all. I gulped, taking in big gulps of air. I walked down a flight of stairs and wandered about aimlessly. I was in no mood to go to my dorm. 

I found myself in a shadowy corridor I had never explored before. Feeling intrigued, I went in trailing my hand against the wall, and was startled to find my fingers covered in dust. Monteverde Academy usually had the cleanest rooms and halls for it was for the very best. It was a little odd to find dust and dirt around. 

A voice in the back of my head warned me of the Selzer attack and about how it was dangerous to roam about alone but I ignored it and went deeper in. The corridor turned darker as the light from the hall dimmed. I willed my eyes to adjust to the dark, not in the mood to take out my phone and turn on the flashlight. 

Some kind of instinct propelled me forward and I tread forward softly. The hall had led off into some sort of tunnel which turned and twisted around. I kept going for what seemed like hours but what probably were just minutes. I was about to turn back when I heard a few faint whispers up the tunnel. 

I carefully took a step forward straining my ears to hear better. 

"…you must do it." said a low voice. "It is important." 

"But I can't!" yelled a familiar voice desperately. I froze. "I just can't do it. I quit." 

It was Yves. I couldn't believe my ears. I leaned forward, straining to hear more. He sounded desperate, a little mad even. What was he even doing here?" 

"You can't just quit." the other voice sneered. "I hope you remember our deal." 

"I don't care," Yves said frostily. "I just don't." 

"You know what will happen if you don't agree. I do not make idle threats and you know it." said the voice sharply. 

I waited with bated breath to hear Yves' reply.

"Alright," said Yves, sounding defeated. 

I felt shocked. It was unlike Yves to succumb to this blackmailer's wishes. What was wrong with him?
The other voice started to say something but he stopped mid-sentence. Struck by a sudden fear of being discovered, I took off running. 

My heart beating fast, I emerged from the tunnel and ran all the way to my dorm. I lay on the floor gasping. Had they seen me? I doubted they had. 

After I had calmed down a little, I felt my thoughts wander over to the conversation I had just overheard. It was Yves, I was sure of it. And someone had been blackmailing him. But who? And why? I pondered over these questions for a little while but could think of no reasons. However, I was sure of one thing- Whoever was blackmailing Yves was up to no good.