Chapter-38

"I'm sorry." I stammered. 

"It's quite alright," he said, holding out a hand to steady me. "What are you doing up here?" 

I looked around and saw that I had wandered about unthinkingly and had somehow landed on the fifth floor, which was full of unused rooms and stuff. 

"Um, I am not sure," I said and smiled. "What are you doing here?" 

"I am quite embarrassed to admit it, but I am lost," he said, smiling back. "Would you be so kind enough to point me to Mrs Kuperus' office?" 

"Of course. I can even do better- I will take you there myself." I said, gesturing for him to follow me. "But you are way off track you know. Her office is on the first floor." 

"Oh," he said, trailing behind me. "This place is huge- and I have lived in a palace." 

I laughed. 

"It does take some time getting used to, I admit."

We walked down the stairs in companionable silence. 

"You are attending my guest lecture, I hope?" he asked. 

"I forgot about that," I said biting my lip. "When is it?" 

"Tomorrow evening," he said. 

"I'll be there," I said, smiling at him again. 

"I'll look forward to seeing you there," he said, making a polite bow. 

I was about to roll my eyes at his perfect manners when I caught myself. He probably was used to such behaviour at home. And come to think of it, I hadn't been talking to him as respectfully as befitted a prince. Oh well, I would have to remember that next time. 

"We are here," I said, stopping outside Mrs Kuperus' door. 

"Thank you, Ms Theron, for escorting me here." 

"It's Verina," I said, suppressing a smile. "And you are welcome your highness." 

"Arryn," he said. "You can call me that." 

"As you wish," I said, curtseying dramatically. "You have to admit Your Highness was a bit of a mouthful." 

He laughed and I waved at him. I headed back to the common room which was packed with Carthans. I spotted Bianca and Aria looking at their phones excitedly and a disgruntled Finn lying next to them. 

I thought of Aiden lounging about by the pool and forced myself to think of the present. I made my way over to them and sat down. 

"Hey," I said. "What's up?" 

"Look at these pictures of Prince Arryn Bianca snapped today," said Aria, giggling. 

Bianca shoved the phone at me and I saw Arryn smiling at Kuperus. 

"Great," I said, handing the phone back. "Now you guys are stalking him." 

"Stop judging us Verina," said Bianca pouting at me. "He's handsome and you know it." 

"Yeah, yeah," said Finn piping in. "We know because you have been talking about nothing else since the past hour." 

"Verina just got here," said Bianca, crossing her arms. "And you are just jealous." 

"Jealous?" said Finn grumpily. "I would look better than that fool even if I don't bathe for weeks." 

Aria, Bianca and I snorted together. 

"I would look better than him after bathing at least?" he said scowling. 

I saw how much it annoyed Finn so I launched into a full-blown out discussion about the prince. 

Finn glared at me and I smiled back impishly. For a second, everything felt normal.