Chapter-12

My father didn't say a single word to me during our car ride home. My mother tried to lift my spirits by asking me questions about school but discouraged by my short replies, she soon lapsed into silence.  

I spent the weekend at home where the family healer fussed around me. Our butler, Mr Morie, checked up on me at every hour. By the time, the weekend ended, I was feeling tired from all the attention and wanted nothing more than to go back. My mom had hugged me and left the night before, saying she had an important client to attend to. 

My dad had stayed outside my room, arguing with the healer and maids. He wanted me to be absolutely comfortable, though he himself didn't check up on me even once. I would probably have felt better if he had checked up on me. Even though I was angry at him since our last fight, I wanted him to be here for me just once instead of hovering in the background with the healers and maids. Every time we fought, I felt our bond weaken and I was afraid that it would shatter completely. And we wouldn't be able to get past that. 

But then I thought about the summer trip and our big fight and steeled myself. My father probably didn't care about our bond. He only cared about his reputation. He had said as much. Turning over, I tried to go to sleep.

                                      ***
When it was time for me to go back, he came outside and gave me an awkward hug and told me to be safe. 

"Bye father," I said stiffly and climbed in the car. When I looked out of the window, he was standing on the front steps, watching the car leave. 

To get my mind off things and to catch up on the news, I called Bianca as soon as my house vanished from sight. She picked up on the third ring. 

"Ver?" she said, her voice anxious. "Is everything okay?" 

"Yeah. Sorry, I couldn't call you before but my dad wasn't  letting me talk to anybody." I said, rolling my eyes. 

"You know how much he cares for you..." 

"Can we please talk about something else?" I said interrupting her. 

"Ver," said Bianca gently. "You have to face all your problems someday. And like it or not, he is your dad." 

"Yeah but that day is not today. I need a break." I said, gritting my teeth. 

"Ver..." Bianca was saying softly.

I strained my ears. I could hear some guy talking in the back. 

"Who's that?" I asked. "Is it Airell?" 

"No," she said sounding distracted. "Ver, I will call you back soon." 

She hung up. I frowned and sat back. Bianca had sounded odd. Something was up. 

Soon, the town of Tresville came into view. The familiar trees rolled by, and the car stopped. 

I was back at Monteverde Academy again.