Chapter-29

A few months ago 

I was standing on the front porch, looking at my watch impatiently. Bianca was terribly late as usual. Mr Morie brought out my suitcase and put it beside me. Bianca and I were to go on a road trip together. Mom, who hadn't come home in months, had agreed to this trip without even asking about the details. She thought it was a great idea for us to mingle with humans. My dad had been more strict about it, giving me all sorts of instructions and warnings. Even today when he had to leave for a meeting, he had talked non-stop until I rolled my eyes and hugged him goodbye. 

Bianca honked, shaking me out of my thoughts. I waved Mr Stanley goodbye and climbed in the car. Bianca had turned on the radio and was telling me what a pain her mother had been the last few days. I propped up my feet on the dashboard and began to write in my diary. 

Bianca nearly ran over a few people, but otherwise, the night was uneventful. We decided to check into a nearby hotel to spend the day. Bianca's mom called, and I decided to roam around for a bit. The hotel was huge and had a pool, jacuzzi and hot tubs. It was a little too extravagant even for us, but money had never been an issue.

The sun was streaming from the big glass doors which led to the pool and I stepped back. A group of humans crowded around the pool, laughing and shoving each other in the pool. A good-looking guy with midnight black hair somehow caught me looking and grinned. He beckoned me to come nearer, but I shrank back. 

I decided to head back before he suspected anything. I began walking towards my room when I heard a yell behind me. 

"Hey!" 

I turned and saw the guy from the pool. 

"What do you want?" I asked. 

"Are you always this friendly?" he said, grinning again and showing his pearly white teeth. 

I tried to smooth my face into a smile. 

"Sorry. I guess I was just feeling a little under the weather." 

"Why didn't you join us at the pool? It was a lot of fun and I noticed you staring." 

"I..." I said, trying to think of some excuse. 

"Let me guess. You are an introvert right?" 

"Yes," I said gratefully. "I don't like talking to new people." 

"Why?" he asked, jamming his hands into his pockets. "It's how we learn new things." 

I stared at him, unable to think of some answer. 

"I am Aiden, by the way," he said with his crooked smile. 

"Verina," I said, smiling back. This time the smile came on its own, without me having to force it. 

"Nice name," he said.

 His phone rang startling us both. 

"Well, I had better get going. See you around." 

Again, I had nothing to say. I was quite surprised by this. I was an extrovert, with plenty of friends and I always found something to say. However, with Aiden, the silence did not feel awkward at all.