Chapter-8

As soon as the sun went down, a bell rang to wake up all the students. I was already awake because I hadn't slept at all. I started putting on my normal clothes - jeans and a tee. 

We didn't have any uniform, but we had to dress casually. 

"You haven't been feeding well, right?" said Bianca. 

It wasn't a question. 

"Um, I fed at least once." 

Bianca stared at me sternly. 

"If you think..." 

I was spared from the lecture by the breakfast bell. We started moving downstairs. Bianca was staring at me in a way which said- We are going to talk about this later. 

Soon breakfast was over and schedules were distributed. I was sure that I would lose mine within a week and would have to share with Bianca. 

The first class today was on the human world, taken by Mr David Spartan, same as last year. I wanted to skip it but I decided that wouldn't be a good first impression. 

When I reached there, the class had already started. 

"May I come in sir?" I said. 

"Ms Theron!" he said. "So glad that you have decided to grace us with your presence today." 

I inclined my head at him and a few people giggled. 

"Now, class started five minutes ago. I am excusing your tardiness as it's your first day. Come in." 

I went and sat down with Airell at the back. Bianca had made it in time and was sitting with Aria. Eryx and Yves were nowhere to be seen. It was odd because Yves wasn't the type to skip class.  

"We must learn about the human world because we have to blend in." Mr Spartan was saying. "You must understand..." 

I tuned him out and stared out of the window. The moon had already risen and the night looked beautiful. 

Airell nudged me and pointed to a piece of paper lying on the desk. He had written something on it. Reaching out, I picked it up. 

'Are you okay Ver? I heard about the fight with your dad.' 

'It's fine.' I wrote back. 'I don't wanna talk about it.' 

Airell looked hurt but didn't say anything. 

Jasmine Evander who was sitting in front of us raised her hand. 

"Sir," she said in her squeaky voice. "Sir, Verina and Airell are passing notes and I can't concentrate." 

Mr Spartan glared at us. 

"Looks like someone is getting detention on the very first day back." 

Both of us groaned. 

                                      ***
Vampiric History and literature went well enough. As I loved these subjects and had never skipped a single class, both Mr Lowell and Ms Flamrose liked me. 

In control and reflex, Mr Tyler Blackson made us run and then stop suddenly. He also taught us how to make our reflexes like humans. I lagged behind here as I didn't have enough strength and Jasmine looked delighted. 

Jasmine hated me for as long as I could remember. She hated that I was noble and the fact that I was at the top of every class without even trying. It wasn't my fault that learning had always been easy for me. 

I had tried to talk to her civilly but she never missed an excuse to humiliate me. I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything when she bumped her shoulder into me. Bianca was right. I had to keep my temper in check this year.