Chapter-33

I was unable to slip out the next day. A large number of people were present in the kitchen and it was impossible to leave undetected. I hung around instead, watching the preparations for the prince. 

Hundreds of people had been brought in to prepare the grand feast and security was on an all-time high. The prince was arriving late at night when all classes would be finished. Aria and Bianca were talking excitedly and I let myself get excited for the prince's arrival as well. It helped me to forget Aiden for a little while, which was just what I needed. 

Nobody concentrated much in class. The girls kept talking excitedly and the boys seized the opportunity to create a ruckus. Most teachers smiled indulgently and excused us, but a few strict teachers like Mr David Spartan sent me out of the class along with Aria for talking loudly and disturbing the class.

Lunch was quite simple and over quickly. Everyone was looking forward to dinner. Eryx had received a call from his father and was wandering about with a sullen look on his face. I wanted to ask him about it but I couldn't seem to find him alone. 

Finally, it was time for dinner and the night was just about to end. We all gathered in the main hall, standing on our toes to get a better view. Mrs Kuperus glided by in an ivory dress, her hair loose around her back. It was quite weird to see her without the severe bun she usually donned. Bianca and Aria nudged each other and grinned. 

"Looks like Kuperus has dressed up to impress the prince," Eryx whispered, in a carrying voice. A few people around us giggled and Kuperus cheeks turned pink. Mr Tyler Blackson, our control and reflex teacher glared at us. We tried to stifle our laughter and I saw Yves cast Eryx a disgusted look. 

I don't know why it bothered me, but it did. Yves didn't hang out with us anymore. I know I had yet to apologise, but he had seemed distant even before that. And though he was responsible, he never seemed to mind a bit of harmless fun. I didn't like the disgusted look he had given Eryx. 

We tried to keep our faces straight and looked ahead. I liked laughing like this- it made me forget all my troubles for a little while. Airell, who was leaning back against a pillar, pinched Eryx who yelled, making us all laugh again. Mr Blackson cast us all dirty looks and we tried to be serious. I had often wondered after coming back to the Academy that why I couldn't like Airell. He was smart and funny and nice, and he was a noble. My dad would have been thrilled and I wouldn't have been in so much trouble. 

Now, I knew Aria liked him and I was glad I didn't. 

Of course, Airell was with Oaklyn all the time now and we saw him less often. I realised with a pang how much I missed him and his jokes. Now, Oaklyn was standing with the rest of the fourth years. and Airell with us. It was the first time in weeks I had seen him without her at his side. I decided to talk to him soon. 

The prince was running late, and everybody was standing around fidgeting. Teachers were glaring at everyone trying to keep us in order. Our group was making the most noise with Airell and Eryx joking around. I felt sure teachers were planning to chew us out later. 

Finally, two horns sounded and all the teachers rushed forward. The prince had arrived.