Chapter-60

I sat on the edge of the bed, trembling with anger. I couldn't do anything about Arryn, even if I managed to get out tonight. Who would believe the prince had turned into a Selzer? Instead, I would be put behind bars in the Carthan jail for treason. 

I stared at him as a deep black wave of hatred rose inside me. 

"Why did you do it?" I asked through gritted teeth. "Why?" 

"Such a lovely girl, yet such predictable questions," he said, fanning himself with his hand. "Easy, I wanted power." 

I had guessed as much. 

"Why not talk to your family about it? They might have given you the throne. Why turn into a Selzer?" 

He snorted. "That's unlikely. Illyr's her favorite, she would have put him on the throne at any cost. Besides the perks of being a Selzer are quite awesome." 

He grinned at me. 

"And I needed to be a selzer to awaken that huntress." 

My heart nearly stopped. 

"You did that?" I knew he was cruel, but surely not as ruthless as this. "Why?" 

"I came across my father's old journals. They had the full spell on how to awaken her and how to subdue her. I have both. And I plan to use the spell to stop her as leverage to get the throne." 

He sat down on a chair and stretched his long legs. 

"I came here because I could not have killed someone at the palace- there was someone around me at all times. And I needed to make my monthly kills. Also, in an amazing turn of events, I met your friend Yves. It was quite helpful." 

"How did you blackmail him?" I had never thought Yves to be the one to succumb to blackmail, but Arryn knew how to do it well, leaving no choice but to listen to him. 

"He liked your friend Eryx and when I found out, he nearly died in shame." 

I stared at him in horror. It was the worst thing he could have done. The Carthans didn't look favorably upon people with different preferences and even burned them sometimes. My eyes filled with tears. No wonder Yves had to do it- he had wanted to keep the reputation of his noble clan intact and he still had wanted to back out. 

"I hate you so much, I can't even..." I choked on my words in anger, barely managing to get them out. 

"Yeah, Yeah, I hate you, and all that shit. Go on and be a goody two shoes about it." 

"People are dying!" I screamed. "You ass!" 

He remained quiet. A deadly calm settled upon me. 

"So what are you going to do now? Kill me?" 

"Ah, you see, you figuring everything out before time has put quite a damper on my plans. I can't afford another death- it will seem quite suspicious." 

He smiled and I shivered. That smile was terrible, full of evil intent. 

"However, lucky for you, I came prepared." 

He fished out a vial from his pocket filled with some kind of pale green liquid. 

Fear washed over me. 

"What's that?" I asked, my voice trembling. 

"Just a little something to make you forget everything you have figured out about me and everything I told you just now." 

"No." I stared at him in horror.

He moved faster than I could have imagined. I had forgotten he was a Selzer. Before I could even move an inch, he forced my mouth upwards and slid the contents of the vial down my throat. I looked around in horror, unable to do anything. This couldn't be happening. I thought dimly as the world around me began to tilt. 

And then all went black.