Chapter-18

Next day, the first four classes went by quickly. I still was a little slow in fighting, but that would change once I drank directly from the vein. Ms Theresa Flamrose, our literature teacher gave us a lot of homework and two books to read over the month. She always tried to prepare us for the annual exams as quickly as possible. 

We filed in the Vampiric Law class in the sixth period. Mr Alastair Lander, our teacher stood in front of us, smiling. 

I glanced at Aria who was sitting next to me. She shrugged incredulously. 

We had never seen Mr Lander smile so freely. 

"Students," he said. "I have good news for you. A surprise guest will be coming and staying with us. This honoured guest knows everything about our laws and customs." 

I leaned forward on my desk, feeling curious. 

"His royal highness, Arryn Dragomir, the heir to the throne will be visiting us soon," he said, beaming.

Everyone started talking at once. Aria looked at me excitedly. 

"Verina!" she exclaimed. "The prince will be visiting us. I can't believe this!" 

I smiled. Her enthusiasm was infectious. Soon all the girls left their seats and came over to discuss the news. Prince Arryn was extremely popular. He was well mannered and had the incredible good looks of the Dragomir family. He had dark hair and piercing blue eyes. He was only eighteen and yet a lot of nobles had offered their daughters' hand in marriage. He hadn't accepted any of the proposals yet. 

Avery and Garessa were speaking at the top of their voices and Jasmine was smiling indulgently at them. Mr Lander was trying to send all the girls to their seats but no one was listening to him. The boys looked bored. They weren't interested in Prince Arryn at all. 

I met with Bianca as soon as classes were over for the day. We headed to dinner. I started moving towards our usual seats but Bianca pulled me away. 

"I wanted to introduce you to Finn, remember?" she said, grinning. 

I walked with her to the end of the table where Finn was sitting. He nodded at me when he saw me. I managed a tight smile in his direction.  

"Hi. I am Verina. Nice to finally meet you." I said and sat down. 

"Finn," he said and began piling chicken on his plate. "I have heard a lot about you, Verina." 

"Likewise," I said. I wasn't getting good vibes from Finn. But, for Bianca's sake, I tried to be polite.

Bianca accidentally dropped her spoon and went to get a new one from the kitchen. I turned to Finn as soon as she left. 

"Now listen here, Finn. I don't want to be rude. Why are being so nice to Bianca? I heard you snapped at two third-year girls the other day and made one of them cry. I don't trust you and I'd rather you stay away from her." I said, unable to stop myself. 

"They were asking for it," he said calmly, putting down his fork. 

I raised my eyebrows. For a newcomer, he sure had a lot of nerve.

"As for Bianca, she can make her own decisions." He got up and walked out. I gritted my teeth. This guy was nothing but trouble.