Long Time

15 years. I can't believe it's been 15 years since we lost Hans. On this anniversary, I wish that the Ducks were still together. I haven't seen them too much since we left high school. Some of them I do see a fair bit though and I'm always grateful to still have them in my life. I've kept contact with everyone though - but Charlie never seems to answer his phone for anyone anymore.

On this depressing day, I know I have no plans or work. I called some of the Ducks to see if they wanted to do anything, but they couldn't. Averman was my best hope but even he wasn't available. So, I told him my new plan and invited him for dinner when he gets off work.

After finally dragging myself out of bed, I manage to muster up the courage to leave the house with some flowers I bought yesterday. On the walk to the graveyard, I keep my head down - not in the mood to interact with anyone.

Now among the dead, I stroll over to Hans' resting place. When I reach his spot, I lean down and place the flowers in front of his stone. As I stand back up, I let out a sigh.

"Hey Hans. Miss you, man." I give a brief weak smile as tears form in my eyes.

I stand talking to my old friend/mentor for another 10 minutes or so before my one-sided conversation gets interrupted.

"Y/N?"

"Charlie?" I turn around in shock. "Oh my god, hi." I say in disbelief as I hug him for the first time in a long time.

"Hey, how you been?"

"Not bad, man. What about you?"

"Pretty good - just extremely busy."

"I can't believe you're here. It's been years since I've seen or even heard from you."

"Yeah, I know and I'm sorry. I guess I just got way too consumed with work." He apologies. "What you been up to?"

"Trying to work my way up the journalism ladder mainly. I still have some of the old gang around a fair bit." I vaguely explain. "I don't need to ask what you've been doing, Mr 'youngest coach in NHL history'. Congrats, man. And congrats on making it to playoffs."

"Thank you, I have high hopes for us."

"I'm sure the Stanley Cup already has your name on it."

"Hey, Hans." Charlie pats the gravestone.

"It's really good to see you, Charlie."

"It's good to see you too."

"Who would've thought this is how we'd reunite, huh?"

"Hans always did bring us together."

The pair of us stand together with an arm around each other as we remember one of the best people either of us ever had the pleasure of meeting. Just a couple of minutes later, Charlie and I are joined by a third person.

"What's up guys?"

"Averman!" Charlie exclaims.

"Long time no see, Charlie." He says as he gives him a quick hug.

"I thought you said you were busy today." I say.

"I was. I had a lot of people to drive around. But I'm free now."

Our trio talks for a little bit longer with Hans becoming a main topic. As Averman notices the time, I make Charlie an offer.

"Hey, we were planning on having dinner at my place tonight. You wanna join us?"

"I'd love to."

The three of us say goodbye to Hans before making our way out of the graveyard. We climb into Averman's limo so he can take us back to my house. However, it doesn't take long for me to realise that he's going the wrong way.