Horror Maze

Halloween. My favourite time of the year. Trick or treating and costume parties with the Ducks. Horror movie marathons intertwined in sleepovers with the Bash Brothers. It gives me something to look forward to every year. The movie thing doesn't necessarily stick to just October, but still. This year, we're going to do some horror mazes - like the ones at Universal but on a lower budget.

To make things even better, we managed to convince some of the team to come with us. That means myself, Fulton, Dean, Kenny, Charlie and Averman will be taking part in a fright night. This is gonna be so much fun.

This whole thing was Portman's idea and he's the one driving us there. I'm starting to think that was a bad idea and that the drive is the scariest part. After a lot of swerving and dodging both moving and stationery things, we finally park the car. Poor Averman didn't even get a proper seat - he had to squeeze into the trunk and hope the cops didn't pull us over. As we get out and stretch our legs, I quickly realise that everything around us looks pretty run down. I guess we must me in the right place.

It's busier than I thought it would be - though there's enough people to prevent it from being considered a ghost town. Considering Dean knew about this place, I have a slight feeling that these dark mazes are being used to cover up murders. That doesn't stop me and the others from following Portman into the heart of it all though.

"So, I was thinking that we start here and just work our way around." Dean shrugs.

"Sounds good." We all give scattered agreement.

"Oh, but let's skip the third one!" He pipes up. "It's the best one - you gotta save it for last." We take his word and start heading towards the main entrance.

"So, Y/N..." Charlie starts talking to me with a tone that suggests he has misplaced confidence. "You want to hold onto me incase you get scared in there?" I'm about to wipe the shit-eating grin off his face.

"You know what, Charlie, I was just about to ask you the same thing." Everyone starts laughing but Charlie rolls his eyes and walks in front of us.

Already setting the tone for the day ahead, the 6 of us make our way to the first maze. With just a single step, we're plunged into total darkness. The only thing I'm scared of is that I'll end up walking into a wall or getting lost - I can't see a damn thing. Shuffling forward, it's only a matter of time before something jumps out to strike fear in us. As some of the guys get jumpy, it's clear that I'm freaking them out by laughing at everything. Well, not Fulton and Portman, they're used to it.

Some lights flicker to give us the slightest hint of where to go. After a couple of cheap jumpscares, we enter a large, weirdly lit room designed to look like what I can only guess is a messed up kid's birthday party. Creepy cackles echo through the speakers as we anticipate the next scare. Suddenly, a clown with smeared face paint leaps out from a gift box. Ken let's out a true scream from my left as he slips and almost takes Charlie down with him.

"I'm okay! Let's just go!" He hurries us along until we finally get out of the room and maze itself.

"Kenny, are you scared of clowns, man?" Fulton asks.

"I- a little." He looks away in embarrassment.

"How can you be scared of clowns when you share a room with Averman?" I gesture to him.

"Hey!" We all look at a protesting Averman. "Yeah, okay. It was right there."

After a brief conversation reflecting the one we had when we first arrived, we approach the second of 4 mazes. Once again, Dean and Fulton lead, Ken and I stick in the middle and Charlie and Averman tail behind us. Instead of an endless darkness, we're instantly encased in deep red hues. It's kinda messing with my eyes - but it would be cool for a music video though.