Icing On the Cake

This was requested by c4reb34r. I hope this lives up to your expectations.

Lately, the Ducks have been going through a bit of a rough patch. Coaching conflicts, a big losing streak and hiccups in our personal lives have been making it a rocky ride. I wanted to do something to cheer everyone up. So, I decided to bake a cake for everyone. For an extra challenge, I've decided to add our logo to it.

A couple of them are currently at my house, so they know about the cake - the others don't. There would be chaos in the kitchen if they got involved, so they're watching a movie in the other room - I'll join when the cake is in the oven. Occasionally, I'll be visited by the guys - though they just come in for drinks and snacks before quickly leaving. I can faintly hear the soundtrack of the film from the kitchen.

With the oven finally loaded, I notice just how messy the kitchen has become. Before I join the movie watchers, I have to clean up - looks like a bomb exploded in here. The only things left on the counter are the icing and everything else needed for the decorating process.

"You missed the part with the boobs." Fulton informs me as I join him and Dean on the couch while Adam sits in the armchair.

"Is that all you care about?" I roll my eyes as I sit between the Bash Brothers.

"N-no. I was just telling you what you didn't see." He stutters, knowing he's been caught.

"Mhm, sure. Totally not why you guys wanted to watch Slapshot." My sarcasm indicates that I know them all too well.

"I wanted to watch it for the hockey." Adam speaks up.

"We know, Banks." I glance at him as Portman laughs.

As the movie continues to play, I almost forget about the cake that's in the oven. That is until I hear the timer going off. I spring up out of my seat and race to the kitchen as Dean follows me like a dog.

"Hey, Charlie wanted us to get there early and help out. See you later." Adam speaks up as him and Fulton head to the door.

"Cool, see you there."

"Cake smells great!" Fulton calls out before practically slamming the door behind him.

With our group now halved, I carefully place the cake down. Dean seems to appreciate just how well it turned out - we haven't got to the decorating yet. Leaving it to cool down, we blast some music and dance around like idiots.

"I need a pee. Don't eat anything or do anything while I'm gone or you're a dead man." I warn him before leaving the room.

Third person...

With Y/N in the bathroom and no one else in the house, Portman decides to act on his instincts. His major crush on Y/N leads him to his questionable actions. Though he has limited time until she gets back, he grabs the green icing and smears it across the entire cake - getting the best coverage he can in minimum time. Despite his good intentions, he's just made a grave mistake.

Y/N's pov...

"Dean, what the fuck?" I yell as I return to see Portman covering the cake. "I told you not to do anything!"

"I-"

"You guys promised you wouldn't mess with any of it! I told you what I was gonna do!" I start freaking out. "I mean if you did the right colour I wouldn't be so mad! You ruined it! I can't believe you, moron!"

Despite my outburst, Dean isn't fighting back - if anything, he looks almost distraught and regretful as he stands awkwardly with icing on his hands.

"I'm sorry - I was just trying to help. I just saw this thing in a movie and wanted to do it." He trips over his words as he defends himself.

"What movie has someone fucking up a cake?"

"It was just some thing in a rom-com I watched last night."

"You watched a rom-com?" I'm shocked and doubtful. "By choice?"

"Well, no. Uh, C-Connie had it on. I was just hanging out in the room." He stutters though I know he's lying.

"Wanna try that again?"

"Huh?"

"I was with Connie and Julie last night." I laugh. "What's the real story?"

"Me, Fulton and Ken watched a rom-com last night." He reluctantly admits it. "But it was Kenny's idea!"

"Was it?" I don't believe him.

"No..." He sighs in defeat. "There was this scene where the couple were making a cake and goofing around and it was just... Cute." He refuses to look at me. "Can't believe I just said that." He mumbles.

"Well, that's how those films are designed. But why did you wanna-" Hang on a minute. "Wait, Dean do you..."

"Yeah..."

"Me too." Did I seriously just tell him I have a crush on him?

"Really?" Portman finally looks back at me in shock, thinking he's heard me wrong.

"Yeah." A small smile creeps onto his face with my confirmation.

"Look, Y/N, I really am sorry about the cake." Dean apologises after an awkward silence.

"No, no - I'm sorry. It's just a stupid cake. I overreacted."

"Nah, you had a vision and I ruined it. You said it yourself."

"They don't even know there is a cake. It doesn't matter if the logo is there or if its just some icing. They'll just be happy to see cake that doesn't have consequences." I chuckle.

"True." Throughout this conversation I've been thinking about the situation. It's really not important - why am I getting so annoyed?

"You know what, screw the plan. You wanna decorate the cake with me? Let's do it."

"You're serious?"

"As serious as that cake is gonna be delicious."

Excited like a kid at Christmas, Dean bounds around the kitchen with pure joy. We turn the music up and start goofing around as we throw anything and everything onto the cake. Somehow, we descend into madness. We even managed to get icing on our faces, making us die of laughter. In the chaos, we find ourselves gawking at each other - staring into each other's souls. Before I can even process what's going on, Dean Portman and I are making out to the sound on 90s grunge.

"How's that for a movie scene?" I joke as I catch my breath merely inches away from his face.

"Way better. You wanna go out with me?"

"Yeah - just don't get all soft on me now, Portman."

"Don't you worry about it, babe." He smirks before kissing me again.

The sound of my alarm somehow blaring over the music breaks us apart. Knowing we're running out of time, we quickly clean up and head out to meet the team. Not trusting Dean to keep the cake in one piece, I carry it whilst he walks with an arm around me.

As I suspected, the team is pleasantly surprised by my homemade cake. We don't tell them much of the hijinks that ensued in the decoration stage - they'll figure it out in a few minutes probably. After today, I know I need to let go a little and Dean is gonna make sure that happens. The cake may not have gone to plan, but I'd say it's pretty damn perfect.