Lovestruck Duck

This was requested by first-time requester H1s_B4byD0ll_ - hope this is along the lines of what you were thinking.

Third person

When Dwayne met Y/N, he fell and he fell hard. He couldn't say anything - he doesn't know how. He also knows the risks of confessing one's feelings. He never fails to be a gentleman - though this isn't out of the ordinary for everyone he interacts with. She may not see how madly in love with her he is, but the rest of the team sure does.

Often times, they'll catch him staring. They've also realised that he'll try and catch everyone else first when doing Cowboy Roundup. After months of internal conflict, Dwayne has finally plucked up the courage... To ask the team what to do. This could be the worst choice he's ever made, but he's desperate.

Dwayne gathers a group of the boys and explains why he needs help. As soon as Y/N's name leaves his mouth, it all becomes clear. None of them are shocked but they leave him to it. Not wanting to ruin a valuable friendship, Dwayne asks the guys how he should go about it.

"Tell her a joke?" Averman shrugs and Dwayne's face lights up.

"Not one of those farm jokes though - none of us understand them." Jesse clarifies, making Dwayne's smile fade.

"Oh, well, I don't know any others."

"Use a pickup line - it's the whole point of them." Charlie suggests.

"Again, none of that farm stuff."

"Poke fun at her. Shove her around a little." Fulton adds to the flurry of horrendous ideas. "We all do because we're close and nobody complains."

"But that's cruel. She ain't done nothing wrong. I don't wanna hurt her." Dwayne protests.

"Not in, like, a mean way. Just banter - not bullying."

"Nah, what you gotta do is go up to her and say 'babe, you and me are going on a date tonight, 8pm' then leave before she can say no." Portman insists it'll work.

"What? I-I can't do that." Dwayne stutters - shocked by the suggestion. "Y'all are no help." He frowns before leaving the group of boys.

Dwayne feels a little defeated as he wanders off by himself. He really likes Y/N and he doesn't want to just give up - but he doesn't know what to do. He keeps his chin up and tries to clear his head - it'll come to him eventually.

He makes a brief stop to grab a bottle of water before continuing his walk. The sun is beaming and there's a gentle breeze - it reminds him of home. In this reflection time Dwayne realises his previous mistake - asking any of the guys. As he turns the corner, he sees the answer to his prayers sitting at a picnic bench. Julie, Connie and Guy - the only exceptions to the previous flaws.

"Hey, Dwayne." Julie waves being the only person to see him.

"Oh, hi, Dwayne." Connie and Guy turn to face him.

"Howdy."

"Come sit with us." Connie invites him over.

"Cookie?" Julie offers as he walks towards them.

"Thanks." Dwayne accepts as he sits beside Julie and opposite Guy.

"What're you up to? How come you're not with any of the others?" Guy questions the cowboy.

"I need to take a walk. They weren't being very helpful - especially Dean."

"You expected them to be helpful?" Julie scoffs making the others laugh.