Part Two, Chapter Nineteen: Anger

Another day, another session of getting her ass beat by Lin for an hour. 

Things had been relatively uneventful for the past couple of weeks. Beatrice was grateful for the momentary lapse in stress. Well, at least for her anway. If anything, Charlie was three times as stressed as usual. Between hardly being able to go in public, and trying to get her finances together, Beatrice had hardly any time to hang out with her. When she did 

Especially since she started actually going to work. Speaking of—

She was currently laying flat on her back on the sticky blue mat, out of breath and covered in sweat. Lin walked over to her, his hands on his hips. It looked so cocky. His attitudes pissed her off even more than being thrown onto the mat. 

"You know what your problem is, don't you?"  He said it as if it should have been obvious. 

She sat up, and used the hem of her shirt to wipe the sweat from her eyes. 

"What?" 

"You're too angry." He said. "It's getting in your way. You're fighting with white hot rage, and it's foolish." 

Her first instinct was to snap at him that he didn't know what he was talking about, but she winced at the cruel irony of her thoughts. He was right. She kept her mouth shut and nodded. 

"Don't let your anger control you like that. You need to be calm and rational in a fight. You need to think through your actions. You need a clear head to do that thinking fast." He said. "You need to let your anger go." 

She closed her eyes and breathed out, shaking her head from side to side. 

"You don't understand."

"You don't think I've been angry like that before?" He said. "I was a closed nineteen year old, growing up with a lot of eyes on me once. I know what it's like to be angry, Beatrice."

She winced at the way he said her full name. She closed her eyes and exhaled, and shook her head. 

"I don't know how to let it go. I feel like it's the only thing that makes me strong." 

She expected him to berate her, but there was a brief moment of silence before he stood up and extended his palm to her.

"Stand up." He instructed. 

She did as he said and stood up, raising her firsts back into position. He did the same. 

"What are you angry about?" He said, throwing a punch her way. 

It took her by surprise, so she dodged instead of blocking it. 

"Uh, like right now, or...?"

Another punch was sent her way, but this one she managed to block.

"Don't think too much about it. Just tell me."

She swallowed and nodded. 

"I'm mad at you sometimes." She said. She threw another punch, but he swiped her hand away easily. "I still feel like what happened to TJ was your fault sometimes."

She expected her words to upset him, for him to falter at the pain she knew it would cause him, and give her an opening. It didn't happen. His face remained blank, focused, his hands easily fending off everything he threw at her. 

"Anything else?" He asked.

Automatically, her brain shifted to the next most obvious topic.