Part Two, Chapter Three: In Spite of Me

Two hours later, Beatrice was laying on the pristinely white living room couch, her head on Charlie's chest. She had peeled off the dress and discarded it in the chair across from them, and now wore nothing but her underwear.

As Charlie ran her fingertips across her bare back, Beatrice tried not to work herself back up again.

Sure, they were back home now. There was no one around and therefore no reason for Beatrice to feel scared anymore.

But now she had to think about how she had ruined the night for Charlie. She had to think about how embarrassing it was that she couldn't even handle a single social interaction without running away like a pathetic baby.

The media probably already knew about it as well. She shuddered to think about what the public thought about her outburst. Everyone was probably rushing to social media as she laid there, and there was nothing she could do about it.

She did her best to push her thoughts away, but it was like she couldn't spend a single second without her brain thinking of things to perceive as threats.

Charlie always seemed so carefree and happy. She never seemed to worry about what tomorrow might bring or what other people might be thinking of her. Her head was high in the clouds and the only thing in her view was the shining sun.

Beatrice knew she could only dream of feeling that way some day.

"I don't understand how you stand it." Beatrice said quietly, not really even meaning for Charlie to hear.

"Hm?" Charlie's fingers halted. "How I stand what?"

"I dunno just... having so much attention on you all of the time." She said. "How do you not feel like you're suffocating?"

"I mean, I've always had a lot of attention on me, from the time I was born." Charlie said. "Plus, I guess it helps that I like being the center of attention."

Beatrice groaned and shoved her face back into Charlie's chest.

"I literally cannot even fathom the mere concept of that."

Charlie laughed, and Beatrice listened to the vibrations in her chest.

"B?" Charlie said.

"Hm?"

"Are you....you know, okay?" Charlie said. Her voice was unsteady, like it was something she was scared to ask.

Beatrice tightened her hands into fists and squeezed her eyes shut.

"What do you mean?" She said absently, as if she didn't fully understand what Charlie was getting at.

"Like... emotionally or mentally or whatever."

Shit. Just lie to her. Was the first thing that came to her mind, immediately followed by; lie? No, it's not a lie. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm perfectly normal. I'm the same as I've always been so I must be fine.

Shit, hurry up and say something to her!

"Uh. Yeah. Of course." Beatrice said.

"Okay." Charlie said slowly. "Well, you know that you can tell me if you're struggling with anything, right?"

"Uh, yes." She said. "Of course."

Beatrice shivered a bit at the chilly air in the apartment.

"Cold?" Charlie asked.

Beatrice nodded.

Charlie sat up and started to unbutton her shirt before slipping it off and handing it to Beatrice.

"Thanks." Beatrice said, blushing a little bit as she pulled it on.

Afterwards she settled back into Charlie's chest.

It got quiet again and Charlie started to gently run her fingers through Beatrice's hair again. Beatrice started to feel sleepy, and contemplated just falling asleep right there despite the fact she also wanted to shower so she could wash all of the sticky, tear streaked makeup off of her face.

Charlie will probably wake me up. I'll take a shower then.

I'll just close my eyes for a second.

....

"Ms. Delaque, Mrs. Jordan would like to buzz in."

The voice over the intercom woke Beatrice up with such a start that she yelped and rolled straight off the couch, onto the floor.

"Shit are you okay?" Charlie said, scrambling up after her.

Beatrice did her best to try and hide her embarrassment as she pulled herself up off of the marble floor.

"Uh, yeah." She said. "Just got to be ready to get attacked in your sleep, you know?"

Charlie looked like she, in fact, did not know.

Beatrice felt even more flustered at her own words as Charlie walked over to the intercom.

"Tell her to come back in an hour or so. I'm not dressed yet. The dishes will still be here later."

"Yes ma'am."

The speaker clicked off, and Charlie stretched and stifled a yawn. Beatrice watched as the hem of her white tank top rode up and exposed a small sliver of her stomach.

"Yes ma'am".

That has a nice ring to it.

Man, it's kind of hot when she tells people what to do too...

Maybe I could get her to tell me what to do...

Wait... am I into-

"So what do you want to do today?" Charlie said, suddenly pulling her thoughts. She walked over, and put both of her hands around Beatrice's waist. "I'm going to be off all day."

Beatrice felt suddenly flustered, and Charlie pulling her so closer certainly didn't help how uncomfortably hot she felt

"Uh, actually." Beatrice said. "I'm supposed to get lunch with Lin around noon."

Charlie pulled away, looking surprised.

"Oh really?"

"You're not mad, are you?" Beatrice said, shrinking a little bit.

"Huh? Of course not!" Charlie said, the last part breaking into a sort of goofy laugh. "I already told you that I wanted you to get out of the house more. I'm glad you have plans."

Charlie reached around and squeezed her tighter than Beatrice thought her skinny arms would have been able to.

"Oh!"

"I worry about you, bring here by yourself all day."

"Don't worry about me." Beatrice said, squeezing her back. "I'm fine."

I was trying to get back into a twice week update schedule, but then I got the flu and I was extremely sick. I'm excited about the next chapter! Hope you guys are too!!