Chapter 17: Vistor's Hours

Linton finally showed up that afternoon. Charlie was excited to let him in talk to him, but his face showed that he didn't return the sentiment. Instead, he seemed apprehensive and nervous.

"So, how did your, uh, thing go?" Charlie asked as she let him into her apartment.

"It went." Was all he said,

Charlie took that to mean that, whatever it was, it hadn't gone too well. Her stomach churned, as she was worried that it meant bad news for Beatrice.

"So uh—" he paused to awkwardly clear his throat. "How are the salamanders?"

Charlie crossed her arms and shot him a firm look.

"Fine. What is it that you wanted to ask me?"

Charlie asked the first thing that came to her mind.

"How do you know Beatrice?"

Linton shifted from foot to foot.

"She's a family friend." He said evasively.

Charlie narrowed her gaze, not quite satisfied with the answer.

"How so?"

Linton let out a hefty sigh, and walked over to the table and took a seat.
"I was well acquainted with her brother." He said. "When he died he left her in my care as she was still a minor at that time."

Charlie stayed by the door, arms still crossed, frown ever increasingly. 'Well acquainted'? What did that mean? And why the hell would Copper Knight be such good friends with Shadow Witch when he was a hero and Shadow Witch was a villain? It didn't make any sense! Was this some kind of huge super conspiracy or something?

Charlie pushed all of these questions aside and focused on what really mattered to her at the moment.

"Well, if you're so close to her, can't you help get her out of trouble or something?" She asked.

"I'm not above the law, Charlie." He said evenly. "I'm doing all I can for her, but what she did is very, very serious."

"Isn't there anything I can do?" Charlie asked desperately. "I mean, I was the one sho was kidnapped after all. Can't I just tell the authorities I don't want to press charges?"

"With a crime of this severity I'm afraid it won't help much." Linton said. "Everyone already thinks you've suffered some kind of nervous breakdown, myself included. I'm sure your father would just have you declared not fit to testify."

Charlie sucked in an annoyed breath. Even Linton thought she was crazy. Couldn't she get anybody on her side.

There was one last thing she wanted to try.

"Well... can I at least see her?" Charlie asked.

Linton sighed and covered his face with his hands.

"Charlie, I can't just—"

Charlie sat down beside him.

"Linton, please!" Charlie said, reaching over and grabbing his shoulders. "I just need to see her so I know that she's okay! Can't you pull some strings for me? For Beatrice?"

"Your father doesn't want you seeing her. If he finds out that I took you to—"

"He won't find out!" Charlie said. "And regardless, I'm twenty five! I'm old enough to make this decision myself."

Linton rubbed his temples and let out a tense breath.

"Fine. Give me half an hour and I'll see what I can do."