Chapter 19: Suit Up!!

"Charlie! Charlie! Wake up!"

Charlie woke up with a yelp and flopped right out of her bed and a lot the plush carpet. She groaned as she pulled herself up, and tried to rub the sleepiness from her eyes.

That voice sounds familiar... she thought.

"Harleigh? Is that you?" Charlie asked, standing upright.

"Yes." The voice was coming from her home speaker system. "Listen, I know you're mad at me, but—"

"What time is it?" Charlie glanced over at the computerized clock on the wall. "Two in the morning! Harleigh, I'm so tired. What the Hell is it?"

"Just listen to me for a moment!" Harleigh said. "There's been a break in at Delacqua Tech."

Charlie suddenly felt much more awake.

"What? When?" Charlie asked.

"Just a few minutes ago. The whole security system is down. Even the back ups that are supposed to alert the authorities. I'm the only one that knows so far."

"Holy shit!"

Charlie immediately started to get dressed.

Beatrice was right. She thought. Nobody was doing enough. They didn't take her seriously.

If everyone's just going to sit back and let this happen, I guess I'll have to do something.

"Listen, Harleigh." She said. "I've got a communicator attached to my right ear. Do you think you could talk to me through that?"

"Uh, Yeah. Give me a minute."

Her home speaker system shut off and Charlie made her way out of her apartment.

She walked quietly into the elevator, and traveled down to the first floor. She stepped quietly out and glanced up at the front desk.

A smile crept up on her face as she realized the security guard was fast asleep. She tiptoed by, and slipped out of the door. As soon as she was out on the street, Harleigh reappeared in her ear.

"Alright I'm in."

"Cool." Charlie said as she headed two blocks west. "I'm headed to Delacqua Tech."

"Wha—Charlie, Why?" She asked.

"I'm breaking Beatrice out of
prison. I need to get some supplies." She said. "Is there anyone still in there?"

"Charlie—uhhg." She could hear Harleigh bang her fist on her desk. "You know what? Fine. Give me a second."

Charlie smiled as she continued to hustle down the street. Even though it was late into the night, there were still a good number of people out. Charlie did her best to make herself as nondescript as possible.

Charlie stopped when she got in front of the building and waited for Harleigh.

"It doesn't look like there's anyone there now, but I can't promise anything." She said. "I have no idea what kind of cloaking Night Thief is capable of."

A wave of nausea hit Charlie as she looked up at the towering building.
Harleigh couldn't assure her that night Thief wasn't still in there, and night Thief was an extremely dangerous and violent criminal. What she was doing was incredible, unexplainable stupid.

Fuck, what am I doing...

Charlie mentally slapped herself.

Shut up you coward! Do it for Beatrice! Be brave for once!