Part Two, Chapter Nine: HIGHjinks Volume 1

The next day Beatrice had two surprises waiting on her. 

The first was a package that had been hand delivered to her by an armed guard. She'd even had to show her ID and sign just to get it. 

She brought it into Charlie's apartment and immediately ripped it open. Inside was her temporary suit, along with a few other gadgets. She pulled the suit out, and held it up to inspect it. 

It was a plain, matte black, in pristine condition. It was minimally padded, but still very flexible, and, in all honesty, the nicest one she had ever even held in her hands. 

Inside the box it came in, there was another box. There was a note taped to the top of it that read:

Someone named Harleigh sent this over for you. 

Alice. 

 She quickly tore into it as well, and found another note resting on top of a pile of packing peanuts.

I got someone to steal this from the evidence locker at the police station, and I fixed it up for you. I know how much it means to you. You didn’t get it from me, if anyone asks. 

Beatrice shook out the packing peanuts, and was quickly met with something else shiny and black.

The original Shadow Witch helmet. 

She had to double check at first, but the dent in the side from where TJ had accidentally dropped it off of the top of their apartment building was still there. 

She nearly dropped in in surprise, fumbling with her hands as she tried to keep it steady. She ran her fingers over the dent, remembering how devastated he had been that day since he had just got done fixing it when he dropped it. 

The police had taken everything into custody when they had killed TJ, including his body. She never thought she would see it again. 

She was still sitting on the floor in shock when Charlie came in from the front door. Beatrice looked up at her. 

"Where were you?" Beatrice asked her. 

"Uh, in the hallway." Charlie said. "Meeting a guy."

"You were… meeting a guy… in the hallway?" Beatrice said skeptically.

"Mhm." Charlie said, rocking back and forth on her feet. 

Beatrice narrowed her eyes and stared quietly at her. 

"You were buying weed, weren't you?" She said.

Color immediately rushed to Charlie's face, and she sheepishly grinned.

"How could you tell?" 

Beatrice rolled her eyes.

 "You're always really obvious about hiding something. It's like you just can't keep it to yourself. You wouldn't last a day in my old neighborhood."

"Oh." Charlie said, finally noticing the package she was sitting in front of. "Your suit came in."

"It's just the temporary version." She said. "But look at this."

She held up the helmet and handed it over to Charlie. 

"Your old helmet?" 

Beatrice shook her head. 

"No, it belonged to TJ. The one I used was a backup of his that I upgraded. Harleigh got somebody to take it from the evidence locker at the police station." 

Charlie looked back up from the helmet, a huge grin on her face. 

"Aw! You guys love each other now!" She squealed.