Chapter 15: For the Best

Charlie expected the next day to be good.

       She expected to wake up with Beatrice still in her arms, breathing softly against her chest. She expected to run her fingers softly through her pale blonde hair she quietly tell her good morning.

       Instead, she woke up to chaos. 

       Screaming, pounding, and a thick cloud of smoke. At first she thought it was another nightmare, as it all seemed nauseatingly familiar. The only thing that set it apart from her memories was the sound of Beatrice's voice, pinched and desperate.

        "They've found us! Charlie! Wake up!"

        Charlie startled awake, confused. It was still nighttime, but it was even harder to see than it should have been. Something smelled like gunpowder.

       "What's going on?" Charlie asked, stumbling upright, arms outstretched and searching for Beatrice.

       "They threw a smoke bomb under the door, I think." Beatrice said. "I was going to turn on the light but I'm having to keep them away at the door."

        Charlie could hear the shouts from the other side of the door. She could hear something thudding against Beatrice's invisible shield. It was the hotel room all over again.

        "I'll get the lights." Charlie said.

         She felt around the wall beside her bed, clumsily knocking things over, until she reached the switch. She flipped it up, but nothing happened. Desperately, she began to flip it up and down, when a sudden thought struck her.

        "Shit! Beatrice, the generator's turned off!" She yelled.

        "Oh yeah." Beatrice shouted back. "I forgot. Sorry, I'm kind of panicking right now!"

        Charlie blindly stumbled over to the area across from her bed, feeling the wall. There was a floor to ceiling window there, facing the backyard garden. Charlie figured if she could break it somehow, they could pull off the same escape they made back at the hotel.

        "I'm going to try and—"

        Charlie was cut off mid sentence as the glass shattered beneath her hand. She could feel the tiny shards raining down on her. Her arm stung, but before she could register that, someone slammed against her, pinning her to the ground. She yelled out in a mixture of surprise and pain.

       "Charlie!" She heard Beatrice yell.

      Beatrice must have faltered when she heard Charlie, as immediately afterward, the sound of splintering wood and the thudding of boots filled the room.

       "Get down! Stand down!" The chorus of gruff voices shouted.

       Charlie struggled beneath the person on top of her, but every twist only dug shards of glass deeper into her arm.

       "Stop resisting!" The muffled voice above her ordered.

       She could hear Beatrice beside her, scuffling with several people from the sound of it.

       "Stop it! Don't touch me! Get your hands off me!"

       "Beatrice!" Charlie yelled, though she knew it was hopeless.

        It was over. They had been beat. There was nothing they could do at this point.

         "Let me go!" Charlie yelled, squirming even more, trying to shimmy her arms free despite the hopelesness of their situation. "Beatrice!"