Part Two, Chapter Eight: Reflection

"Hey, Beatrice—"

"Hi." Beatrice replied unenthusiastically. 

Harleigh ignored the flat tone of her voice, and immediately sped off into throwing information at her. 

"Okay so, I have news. From what I can tell, all of the emails you've been getting have indeed been coming from the abandoned warehouse." 

Beatrice sat down on the bed, and flopped backwards, staring up at the fancy light fixtures that dangled above the bed.

"Okay, so what does that mean?" She said, though it was mostly just to herself. 

"I obviously can't say for sure." Harleigh said. "But if you asked me, I think it looks like some kind of really weird, obvious trap." 

"Oh, well—" 

"Like they're trying to pose as someone in trouble, hoping you'll come to an abandoned location to try and save them."

"Yeah, that's what I was—"

"But then again—" Harleigh interrupted her again. "You're not exactly the person I would expect to just go out and save some rando who sent you an email. You'd probably only go out of your way if it were someone you cared about."

Beatrice wanted to protest, but kept her mouth shut because she silently agreed. 

"What if it's actually a really good trap." She suggested.

"A really good trap?" Harleigh asked. 

"Yeah." Beatrice said. "Like, what if it's to distract me from another, better trap. Or it just looks so bad so I go there unprepared and get my ass kicked."

"Hm. I say, send them an email and ask who they are." Harleigh said. "Just outright ask. I want to see what they tell you."

"If it's just someone trying to coax me into a fight, what good is egging them on with more emails going to do?" Beatrice said. 

"Nothing, I guess." Harleigh admitted. "I just like to stir the pot." 

Beatrice blinked tiredly up at the ceiling. 

"I think I'll just go up there and check the place out." She said. "Whoever it is might think they can best me in a fight. But l know they can't."

"That sounds like a really, really dumb idea." Harleigh snorted. "You should do it."

Beatrice frowned. 

"Okay, I will."

"Good."

"Yeah, it will be." 

"We'll see."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

There was a brief moment of silence as Beatrice glared into the distance.

"I'm hanging up first!" She declared. She hit the end button before Harleigh could respond. 

She gave herself a satisfied smirk and tossed her phone onto the bed, then stretched for a moment and peeled off her clothes. 

She stood in only her underwear, glaring at her reflection angrily in the full length mirror. She bent sideways at the waist, and grabbed the side of her stomach where it formed a soft roll at the side.

Alice was right, she thought. While she had lost a lot of weight while in the hospital, when she had moved in with Charlie and started eating catered meals, she quickly gained it back.

Her gaze slid down, and she eyed the thick, pink lines that stretched across the side of her stomach. She brushed her fingers over the scars, and felt the smooth, raised ridges with a frown. It wasn't something she would have let bother her before, but now she found herself preoccupied wondering what Charlie thought about them.