Chapter 7: Catching Flies

You catch more flies with honey than with lemons

         You catch more flies with honey than with lemons. That's what Charlie's mother used to tell her when other kids were being mean to her at private school. If you were nice enough to them, they couldn't think of anything to be mean to you about.

       Truthfully, it never actually worked for Charlie, but she figured she might as well give it a shot with Beatrice anyways.

        She woke up early the next day and crept out of her room as quietly as possible. As she walked into the kitchen, she eyed Beatrice's sleeping form, curled in a ball on the pullout couch.

       She looks a lot less intimidating like this. I bet even I could take her!

       Charlie turned back to the fridge, and, as quietly as possible, opened it up.

       "What are you doing?"

        Charlie spun around to see Beatrice eyeing her from the futon, hair more disheveled than usual, but otherwise looking very much wide awake. Had she even really been sleeping, Charlie wondered?

      Geeze. Maybe I couldn't take her in a fight after all.

       "Making breakfast!" Charlie said as delightfully as she could force.

        "You know how to cook?" Beatrice scoffed.

         "I mean, not really." Charlie admitted. "But I used to watch my chef cook a lot when I was growing up, so I think I can do it."

       Charlie stopped herself short of saying: plus I think anyone could cook better than you.

        "Alright then." Beatrice said, leaning back and turning on the television.

         For a while, Charlie listened to the news reports on her kidnapping as she got together everything she needed for pancakes. The news anchors talked excitedly as they explained how the FBI was getting close to tracking the location of the broadcasts.

         Except when they get there I'll already be gone.

         Charlie thought with a grimace as she stirred the pancake batter. Every now and then, she stole a glance over at Beatrice, who nervously chewed her nails as she eyed the television screen.

         I bet they are actually getting
close to finding me. She seems kind of nervous.

        Charlie continued making the pancakes, watching Beatrice out of the corner of her eyes as she poured the batter.

        "So what's on the agenda for today?" Charlie asked cheerfully as she flipped the pancake.

        "I guess just sitting around until Linton gets here." Beatrice said, sounding slightly defeated.